theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Just had my interview at US Consulate Belfast

Just had my interview at US Consulate Belfast

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JintyD,

Thanks for the post, and hopefully you'll come back with an update once you receive a decision?

As for the role of Border Patrol or Customs, we've never seen an example where people get given a Visa and then refused on Entry, so I wouldn't worry about that too much!

Fingers crossed for you!

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
centralman
centralman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Hi jintyD

Good to hear what you have managed to do. Can I ask what your MT was?

I'm thinking of going to Belfast to get a visa too
centralman
centralman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Ah ok Smile
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

Hi Central man....excuse my ignorance but what does MT mean.
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

Oh....just realised what MT means....DOH.......Embezzlement.
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being

HI Damag3d

I wanted to do the right thing here and in fact my other half insisted I go through this and even if I get the waiver she said there is no guarantee border control or customs will let me in - it's their decision.

It's something we are going to have to seriously think about and if we decide never to go back to America then the good old UK will be our choice or Europe.
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being

Hi - yes I did get my visa and was very pleased about that. Unfortunately didn't take advantage of it as had no funds to go to America this year however plan on going next year. Have had to go through the whole process again i.e. applying for visa online, paying fee, and then making arrangements to attend interview. I am hoping that since I was granted one before it will be granted again but one just never knows how they think.
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being

Was very nervous about going here as I had never been to Belfast and was travelling alone so had no moral support so to speak.

Getting to the Consulate is relatively easy. 8a bus drops you right at the bottom of the road up to the Consulate. Despite the website saying not to take mobile phone I chanced my arm. Security were fine about this and you just sign the book with the make of your phone and pick it up after your interview. I waited for about an hour, had digital fingerprints taken and then got called for interview. The woman who interviewed me was lovely. She asked a lot of questions which is obviously her job but I hated all of this being drudged up again. She asked why I wanted to visit America and I said I wanted to know if I would be allowed in for a holiday.

After a short pause she said that because my crime fell under moral turpitude they couldn't issue me with a visa without getting special permission from Homeland Security. They have recommended me to Homeland Security for a waiver of ineligibility and I'll just have to wait and see what they say. I was told this could take around 28 weeks. However, here's the sting.....she said even if I get the waiver from HS I could be refused by Border Patrol or Customs as it's up to them at the end of the day.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Hope you get it in the end but sadly just like anyone else its a double edged sword to declare or not to.

One can declare to your employee and get immediate discrimination and no job, or one can ignore or lie and put food on the table.

One can declare to US and get immediate interview for your entire past and convictions and still get rejected from your lovely holiday or one can ignore or lie and enjoy your holiday.

Lots of post regarding the whole US travel since its the biggest and first place most like to visit even if it is one giant prison, many people don't declare and walk right through some are unlucky and get pulled over since they were sweating or nervous or suspicious or they found something wrong in the luggage etc

Remember lieing on the visa app form is a criminal offense and US will treat you as an criminal afterwards and likely reject you, as was saying double edged sword.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Good point indeed usually if one gets the visa it seems fine to go right through without any headache.

I also believe in being honest and good however since employers and companies and dbs offices or US border/Customs reject you due to your past imo this is discrimination and illegal in my books !

Its a bit of a thought crime as in an employer or someone assuming the very worst or this person may suddenly re-offend, as with any situation in life anyone can attack or be a criminal within a split second.

Do agree goodluck and please come back and let us know how it went since most do a runner !
GO