theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Question about going on holiday with a common assault conviction

Question about going on holiday with a common assault conviction

Author
Anonymous

caterpillar said...
Just my 2 'cents'. Any Assault under UK Law upto and including a Section 20 would not be considered a crime of moral turpitude under US Law since the following applies:

Assault (simple) (any assault, which does not require an evil intent or depraved motive, although it may involve the use of a weapon, which is neither dangerous nor deadly)

* Reply Now Deleted * nono  

There are no mistakes in life, only lessons.

Post Edited (Spiritus) : 27/06/2013 18:24:45 (GMT+1)

Anonymous
Anonymous

CategoryCrimes involving moral turpitudeCrimes not involving moral turpitude
Crimes Against PropertyFraud:
  • Making false representation
  • Knowledge of such false representation by the perpetrator
  • Reliance on the false representation by the person defrauded
  • An intent to defraud
  • The actual act of committing fraud

Evil intent:

• Damaging private property (where intent to damage not required)
  • Breaking and entering (requiring no specific or implicit intent to commit a crime involving moral turpitude)
  • Passing bad checks (where intent to defraud not required)
  • Possessing stolen property (if guilty knowledge is not essential)
  • Joy riding (where the intention to take permanently not required)
  • Juvenile delinquency
  • Trespassing
Crimes Committed Against Governmental Authority
Crimes Committed Against Person, Family Relationship, and Sexual Morality
  • Abandonment of a minor child (if willful and resulting in the destitution of the child)
  • Adultery (see INA 101** repealed by Public Law 97-116)
  • Assault (this crime is broken down into several categories, which involve moral turpitude):
    • Assault with intent to kill, commit rape, commit robbery or commit serious bodily harm
    • Assault with a dangerous or deadly weapon
  • Bigamy
  • Paternity fraud
  • Contributing to the delinquency of a minor
  • Gross indecency
  • Incest (if the result of an improper sexual relationship)
  • Kidnapping
  • Lewdness
  • Manslaughter:
    • Voluntary
    • Involuntary (where the statute requires proof of recklessness, which is defined as the awareness and conscious disregard of a substantial and unjustified risk which constitutes a gross deviation from the standard that a reasonable person would observe in the situation. A conviction for the statutory offense of vehicular homicide or other involuntary manslaughter requires only a showing of negligence will not involve moral turpitude even if it appears the defendant in fact acted recklessly)
  • Mayhem
  • Murder
  • Pandering
  • Prostitution
  • Rape (including "Statutory rape" by virtue of the victim's age)
  • Assault (simple) (any assault, which does not require an evil intent or depraved motive, although it may involve the use of a weapon, which is neither dangerous nor deadly)
  • *******y (the offense of begetting a ******* child)
  • Creating or maintaining a nuisance (where knowledge that premises were used for prostitution is not necessary)
  • Incest (when a result of a marital status prohibited by law)
  • Involuntary manslaughter (when killing is not the result of recklessness)
  • Libel
  • Mailing an obscene letter
  • Mann Act violations (where coercion is not present)
  • Riot
  • Suicide (attempted)
Attempts, Aiding and Abetting, Accessories and Conspiracy
  • An attempt to commit a crime deemed to involve moral turpitude
  • Aiding and abetting in the commission of a crime deemed to involve moral turpitude
  • Being an accessory (before or after the fact) in the commission of a crime deemed to involve moral turpitude
  • Taking part in a conspiracy (or attempting to take part in a conspiracy) to commit a crime involving moral turpitude where the attempted crime would not itself constitute moral turpitude.

N/A

From the United States Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual

Anonymous
Anonymous

A conviction for a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT) causes a person to be inadmissible to the United States under section 212(a)(2)(a)(i) of the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act). There are petty offense exceptions to this rule, but these exceptions do not change the meaning of the question on the Visa Waiver Program or on the visa application form, and cannot be self-certified. A controlled substance violation causes the alien to be inadmissible to the United States under section 212(a)(2)(i)(II) of the INA. They are two different sections of the law. A controlled substance violation is a CIMT. The immigration administrative proceeding does not use a controlled substance violation as a CIMT. A visa waiver program applicant admissibility is determined at the port of entry and they are subject to section 212(a) and 217 of the INA

Visa Waiver Program

The first question on document I-94W for those visiting the U.S. on the Visa Waiver Program asks:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been controled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

Little guidance is provided to the traveler as to which offenses are included in the definition; however the Web site of the U.S. embassy in London states that a visa is required for anyone who has ever been arrested or convicted for any offense.[8] This appears to be at variance with the question on form I-94W and information supplied by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, as there are many offenses that are not considered to involve moral turpitude

U.S. government guidance on determining moral turpitude

A definition of moral turpitude is available for immigration purposes on the United States Department of State website.

For offenses (or arrests on suspicion of such offenses) occurring outside the U.S., the locally defined offense must be considered against the U.S. definitions, and in such cases it is the definition of the offense (as defined in the appropriate country) which is considered for immigration purposes, and not the circumstances of the individual's actual case.

Whether a state law offense constitutes a crime involving moral turpitude for federal immigration purposes is decided on a statute by statute basis, because each state statute might cover a different range behaviors, some of which may not necessarily involve moral turpitude under the Federal definition. For a good example of a criminal statute that seems like it would categorically involve moral turpitude, but actually does not because the statute covers some behavior that does not involve moral turpitude, see the Ninth Circuit case Castrijon-Garcia v. Holder, No. 09-73756 (9th Cir. 2013) (simple kidnapping under California Penal Code § 207(a) is not a categorical crime involving moral turpitude).

Post Edited (Spiritus) : 27/06/2013 18:23:24 (GMT+1)

Anonymous
Anonymous

Greece look's like a better option this year !

Anonymous
Anonymous

Or, you are picked out by immigration for some un-known reason. We all know that a subject access request can be made in minutes, and this can be done from anywhere in the world.

I am sure that some type of cross referencing is made via the ESTA process anyway, because if there was an arrest warrant out on you wouldn't get cleared to enter.

Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
US = complicated

but as unlock says usually you try your luck and you get in, perhaps best to make a single trip down that way if refused can get back.... also that Dublin or Shannon airport in Ireland offers a pre clearance entry, so that way if you don't go all the way down there only to get refused.

Seriously it looks like Asia/Europe they do not bother too much with these checks, the visa forms on some do ask for criminal convictions ie Russia and China does, rest are fine for the bog standard holidays, guess everyone needs money more so the poorer countries out there. America sadly has the highest criminal conviction rate in the world and also the highest level of standards to get in... perhaps they require the more posher criminal.
Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Having a quick check for you on Italy, https://italy.visahq.co.uk/ Confirms you do not need a Visa to enter with a British passport also googling it quickly shows these 2 links:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100716033942AAJZyAo

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k4027719-Travelling_to_Italy_with_a_criminal_record-Italy.html

https://www.nclt.com.au/#i

The 3 links above look promising, for Europe us brits are very lucky and Europe does not discriminate our past, English speaking countries however do !

Of course do not take my word as 100% I recommend posting up on the italian travel forums here:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187768-i20-Italy.html

They surely would know much more.

Also you can contact the italian embassy here:

https://italy.embassyhomepage.com/index.htm

And ask them directly to be 100% sure, other then that Europe is the easiest place to get into for brits regardless of criminal records so enjoy!
dave_uk
dave_uk
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)

Hi, I am new to the forum, i have an issue that's been bugging me for a long time, i haven't actually been abroad anyway but i not just feel lost about it all with my common assault conviction (section 39).

I am nervous about going anyway, but with having this over me as well makes it feel even worse as i am very scretchy about where i can / cannot go without any issues.

my conviction is spent after this September time, can't remember the exact date, does that matter at all? i know mine is classed as spend after 5 years but wondered if once spend do i not have to declare it for any holiday i go on?

the main two questions i have as well as the above is going to the below places (both with or without a spent conviction, as i don't know the date this year i would be going)

Am i right in assuming i can go anywhere in Europe without having to worry about letting them know?

And also is Norway classed in the same way or would i have an issue going there? i know Iceland is in the EU but i don't think Norway is, can anyone let me know on both things?

Thanks

Dave.
dave_uk
dave_uk
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)

Yes, i got 160 hrs community service and a fine.

the charge sheet said section 39 on it, can that change at all in court or has that got to be what they sentence you with?

i just hope that it stays the same and couldn't have changed.
dave_uk
dave_uk
Supreme Being

RG, thanks a lot for your replies you have been very helpful.

Can i take all that as i will be not questioned about my past at all if i go abroad? would that also inc usa?

and can you confirm if when your conviction is spend has any effect on going abroad?
GO