theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Basic disclosures

Basic disclosures

Author
Gossi
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello all,

New to the forum here and first post.

I have recently applied for and received my basic disclosure (only took 2 days!) to double check that my convictions are indeed spent, the positive news was that they were and the basic disclosure was clear.

My question....are the basic disclosures commonly used by employers as as check and is there a list of what employers actually use these instead of the standard ones. Understand that it will really depend on the position and authority held but thought do ask to see if there was any real clarity.

Best wishes to all

G
Gossi
Gossi
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)

Thank you Deb, much appreciated for the clarity.

I've searched the forum but is there a lost of employers who do the basic checks, I've seen on one thread that Morrisons do basics and assuming other supermarkets are the same...just wondered if there was a list of employers or people with experience of these basic checks

Many thanks again for your answer and best of luck to all

G
Gossi
Gossi
Supreme Being

Thanks again Deb, info much appreciated and welcome.

Good luck to all on the forum, it's an excellent resource for all in difficult situations.

G
Gossi
Gossi
Supreme Being

Could anyone shed any light on what the below means as in what kind of check they will do, or whether I have to disclose my spent conviction?

It's from an app for a job I'm about to apply for.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 enables some criminal convictions to become spent or ignored, after a ‘rehabilitation period’. Excepted posts are those to which the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 applies. You may be entitled to withhold information about convictions that are ‘spent’ under the provision of the act. In the event of employment, any failure to disclose could result in dismissal or disciplinary action by your employer. If selected for interview you will be required to complete a criminal convictions declaration form that will only be reviewed if an offer of employment is being made.

Thanks all

G
Gossi
Gossi
Supreme Being

Cheers fella.

It's a retail job for a bike organisation, charity but not for vulnerable people or kids, more to do with getting folk to cycle....!

G
Gossi
Gossi
Supreme Being

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated
GO