theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Employee theft

Employee theft

Author
Debs L
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello .I don't know if anyone on hear can actually help me but I'll ask anyway ...I am in court on Friday for employee theft of£550 when I was interviewed I admitted straight away both employer and police .I was told by police it wouldn't go to court but then it did apparently because
 of the amount ..it was done over the period of a month.no excuses ..I was being chased by bailiffs and I just couldn't cope. .it's my first offence and believe me the last .my former employer gave a statement to say I was previously an exemplary employee .I'm so scared I'm going to prison I don't no how to deal with this .I've totally ruined my life the shame will never go away.

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Debbie Lyon - 21 Aug 16 11:52 PM
Hello .I don't know if anyone on hear can actually help me but I'll ask anyway ...I am in court on Friday for employee theft of£550 when I was interviewed I admitted straight away both employer and police .I was told by police it wouldn't go to court but then it did apparently because
 of the amount ..it was done over the period of a month.no excuses ..I was being chased by bailiffs and I just couldn't cope. .it's my first offence and believe me the last .my former employer gave a statement to say I was previously an exemplary employee .I'm so scared I'm going to prison I don't no how to deal with this .I've totally ruined my life the shame will never go away.

Hi Debs

We're in the process of updating theForum which is why currently it's fairly quiet.

Have you raised your concerns with your solicitor? Has he given you any indication of what punishment you are likely to receive? 

I'm not a solicitor but I shouldn't think that you'd be likely to get a prison sentence for the theft of £550. In the general scheme of things, this isn't a huge amount of money, this was your first offence and your employers have provided you with a 'character reference'. You admitted your guilt straight away which should also go in your favour.  

Without a doubt you're going to be worried sick until Friday is over and done with but this is always going to be the worst time just because you don't know what's going to happen. Please try not to beat yourself up too much about the offence. Lots of people make stupid mistakes especially when their world is a bit chaotic (i.e. in debt, being chased by bailiffs etc). You know why you acted in this way (possibly because you didn't ask for help etc) and this will hopefully mean that you're unlikely to put yourself in this position again.  Don't assume that your life's ruined - there are 10.5 million people in the UK with a criminal record and many of them are very successfully. Once Friday is over, put this behind you and concentrate on the future.

Good luck on Friday - let us know what happens.  Once we know what type of sentence/disposal you receive, we'll be in a much better position to give you any information you need about disclosing your conviction to an employer.  If you need anything before Friday, please feel free to contact our helpline.

Best wishes

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debs L
Debs L
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)

Debs L
Debs L
Supreme Being

Thank you for ur support ..i cannot afford a soliditor as im no getting legal aid .ive spoken to him and he says its a possible custidial sentence or a community order . I am going by myself and its tommorow
Debs L
Debs L
Supreme Being

Debbie Lyon - 22 Aug 16 6:37 PM

Thank you for ur support ..i cannot afford a soliditor as im no getting legal aid .ive spoken to him and he says its a possible custidial sentence or a community order . I am going by myself and its tommorow

I cant afford 480 for him 
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Debbie Lyon - 22 Aug 16 6:49 PM

Hi Debs

Good luck today. Let us know how it goes.

Thinking of you.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debs L
Debs L
Supreme Being

Deb S - 23 Aug 16 8:34 AM

Hi Debs

Thinking of you.

Debs 

Hi just to let u no I,received a fine  the duty solicitor at the court helped me so much (even though I didn't request to see him) it was without doubt one of the worst experiences of my whole 49 years .just going in to court was frightening .it's made me realise though that things happen to people everyday that change their whole life .as a result I will try my very best to not 
judge anyone for anything there done because life's not always about making good choices ..thank you forhelping me through a bad period and obviously I know I've got a record now I'll move on in life and try be a good person

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Debbie Lyon - 25 Aug 16 4:02 PM

Hi Debs

Thinking of you.

Debs 

Hi just to let u no I,received a fine  the duty solicitor at the court helped me so much (even though I didn't request to see him) it was without doubt one of the worst experiences of my whole 49 years .just going in to court was frightening .it's made me realise though that things happen to people everyday that change their whole life .as a result I will try my very best to not 
judge anyone for anything there done because life's not always about making good choices ..thank you forhelping me through a bad period and obviously I know I've got a record now I'll move on in life and try be a good person

Glad we could help.

Debs L
Debs L
Supreme Being

Deb S - 26 Aug 16 8:41 AM

Hi Debs

Thinking of you.

Debs 

Glad we could help.

Id like to get involved with  helping on the website pls
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Debbie Lyon - 26 Aug 16 10:39 PM
Deb S - 26 Aug 16 8:41 AM

Hi Debs

Thinking of you.

Debs 

Glad we could help.

Id like to get involved with  helping on the website pls

Hi Debs

Have a look at details of the Information Hub Researcher role here.

If this is something that you'd be interested in, please complete the application form (which you'll find in the same place) and return it to me.

Many thanks for the interest.

Debs 

GO