theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Can the PPU refuse my request to see their report on me?

Can the PPU refuse my request to see their report on me?

Author
RunningMan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello
This year I successfully had my SOPO discharged early: https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24362.aspx My PPU Officer wrote a report which he sent to the Court separately as part of my application. I did not see this report but it was obviously favourable! I now want to apply to Google to have the links to my conviction removed. This is especially important now I have a new job. I want to use the PPU Officer's report to help strengthen my case. I spoke to him recently asking for a copy. He is unsure and has to speak to their 'legal team'. He has been extremely supportive in the past (without his input I would never have been admitted on to a University course - see link below) and I get on with him well. But if he comes back and says 'No', what should I do? Do I have a right to see it under the GDPR or are there restrictions?
Any advice most welcome.
RM 
https://www.the-record.org.uk/unlock-people-with-convictions/university-study-is-possible-but-youll-have-to-fight-for-it/
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

I would put in a written request, if they say 'no' then ask why. If they refuse to share it with you, you can't do anything until you know the reason why.

Not to burst your bubble, but google will almost certainly refuse your request stating 'in the public's interest'. This doesn't mean don't try - you may get lucky. It may be worth engaging legal support in the event they refuse.

Best of luck.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Square - 28 May 18 10:28 AM
I would put in a written request, if they say 'no' then ask why. If they refuse to share it with you, you can't do anything until you know the reason why.

Not to burst your bubble, but google will almost certainly refuse your request stating 'in the public's interest'. This doesn't mean don't try - you may get lucky. It may be worth engaging legal support in the event they refuse.

Best of luck.

You can make a subject access request to the police for a copy of the information they hold on you locally. It might well be redacted to hide names, but other than that it ought to include the report. There is information on the Unlock website about this here. As Square says, Google are unlikely to want to take down the links, and will probably claim it is in the public's interest, but there is a difference between the public interest and what interests the public. If your report from the police is favourable, it might support an argument that it is no longer in the public's interest, but you might well end up needing to take legal action. Unlock has information about this as well, which you can find here. The law on data protection changed on 25th May, but I have no idea if the changes will help you.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Edited
6 Years Ago by AB2014
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

AB2014 - 29 May 18 11:01 AM

The law on data protection changed on 25th May, but I have no idea if the changes will help you.

I don't know how it changes your actual right to information, but as of 25 May, due to the new law, it is now free to do a request - no more £10 fee. Unlock has indeed updated this on the section of its site :-)

Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

BenS - 30 May 18 7:56 AM
AB2014 - 29 May 18 11:01 AM

The law on data protection changed on 25th May, but I have no idea if the changes will help you.

I don't know how it changes your actual right to information, but as of 25 May, due to the new law, it is now free to do a request - no more £10 fee. Unlock has indeed updated this on the section of its site :-)

I actually wouldn't want to know what the police have written! I heard they wrote nice things but it'll be atrocious in some other way, kind of patronising or whatever,
GO