theForum

US dummy run?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11006.aspx

By Tom77 - 25 Jun 16 3:06 PM

Hi

First post here.
I've read all the usual posts about the chances of getting to the US and not declaring an arrest (in my case a caution nearly 10 years ago).
I'm wondering whether to do a dummy run on a work trip first rather than potentially upset my family trying to get to Disneyland on my first attempt.

If I'm accepted on the work trip, would this automatically allow me future trouble free access to the US without me having to stress?

Thank you in advance.
By BenS - 5 Aug 15 6:55 PM

Hi Tom,

People, including some on here, with unspent and far more serious convictions, including jail time and sexual offences, have got to the US on an ESTA with no problem. I would be absolutely staggered if a 10-year-old caution flagged up with them. Also, you don't have to declare all convictions, only ones relating to moral turpitude (now reworded).

According to our beloved Home Office, the US has no routine access to the PNC (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/access-by-the-us-authorities-to-information-held-on-the-police-national-computer). They can only access your info by doing a specific individual request to the UK authorities if they have grounds for suspecting you of something.

A dummy run would of course do no harm and would make you feel less nervous when it comes to the family trip. If you have any choice in the matter I would recommend going through Ireland, as they have US border control on Irish soil at both Dublin and Shannon, so in the incredibly unlikely event you are refused entry, you only have to worry about returning from Ireland and not from the US on the next flight at your own expense. Though of course with work you may not have a choice in the route, but like I said, people with far worse have gone there no problem.
By dannys - 3 May 16 10:55 AM

Tom77 said...
and not declaring an arrest .

What was the arrest for? You may be worrying over nothing.