theForum

US Visa - 2nd Attempt Success

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11418.aspx

By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Dear JintyD

Once you have completed the visa application, you can arrange your interview by contacting the Visa Co-ordination Office at the US Embassy in London on 09042 450100.

When you telephone, you will be asked to provide

Your name and address
Your place and date of birth
Your passport nationality and passport number
Email address

When you attend the interview, you will need to take with you:-

Confirmation page of the DS-160 (this is the Visa application form)
The letter from the Embassy which confirms your interview time and date
A print out of the page confirming receipt of your Visa application
Passport
Any other information which you think may be relevant to assist you securing a Visa

I hope this helps but, if you require any additional information, please give the Unlock Helpline a call.

Best wishes
Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350 (Press 1)
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Find online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

By JintyD - 14 Jul 11 3:46 PM

Thank you so much. I shall come back on and let you know how I get on although it will be a good few months before I get organised.

What great work you do.

J
By DaveLAC - 5 Jun 14 11:00 AM

Hi yklad81!

I'm curious to know what your conviction was.

I served 68 days of a 9-month sentence for a Financial Services regulatory breach and have a had a refusal at the US Embassy. I'd like to know when to time my reapplication, and to get a feeling for the chances of success.

Thanks!

Dave

That's really not good news. My appointment is next week and now I'm thinking - "am I wasting my time" - I'll let you know how I get on
By DaveLAC - 5 Jun 14 11:00 AM

@JintyD...I was told (afterwards by a lawyer) that I maybe should have taken legal advice and got my application packaged by them before i went along. As it is now, I believe it will be harder to come back after an initial refusal than it would have been trying to get it right the first time. Kind of like an appeal against conviction I guess.

They also told me to leave it a while, as the passage of time helps a bit between applications.

Can you let us know how you get on?

Cheers

Dave

Hi DaveLAC

I'll def let you know - in two years my conviction will be "spent" but never in the eyes of the USA authorities.

J
By yklad81 - 5 Jul 11 12:47 PM

Hi DaveLAC,

Sorry not seen your post before today not been on the forum for a while. My conviction was theft by Employee was given 200 hours community service.
I have since my convistion been working with voluntary organisations (paid) and doing voluntary work to which I took a letter from my Chair about how since the convistion I have
been paying back to the community above my CO. The Consular Officer was really friendly asked some questions what I had done, what I had done to reform myself, she then tried being funny by saying "on this occasion it is my opinion "Dramatic pause pretends to pass everything back to me" it is my decision to grant to a B2 visa. then put my paperwork in with my passport and said thank you.

Hi JintyD,

I know how you feel, I first went for my Visa in london and was treated like a peice of dirt on the Consular officers shoes I was in at 8am had a very low was seen my the first desk within 30 minutes of arriving handed over my documents and fingerprints taken then sat back down for 3 hours! when I was called into the interview booth she had already made up her mind asked me what the offence was and then it was then said i am not going to grant you a visa becuase their was not enough time between the offence and the interview handed me a peice of paper which told me something competly different I was in and out of the booth within 5 minutes!

I left it a couple of years and took the advice from various forums etc and booked my appointment interview at Belfast all very easy now via their new website etc with no more expensive calls. I am sorry to hear that you need to go for a Waver and wish you all the best. The staff are very friendly and very welcoming which is competly different from london. I went with my partner who I left at the gate the guard said what was he going to do as he could not come in and gave him directions to a local cafe used by the consulate staff. Very friendly staff and a lovely setting more peaceful than london.

Fingers crossed for you and hope you get the waver, im off to Orlando in October and I am really nervous about the Border Control but will have to see what happens when I get to MCO.

The thing i found out is if your truthful with the USA then you will not have any problems. Their is no point getting caught and then getting banned for life.

Hope this helps you both?

Hi DaveLAC,

Fingers crossed for you for Orlando...I'm sure it will be fine. I just find it all very sad indeed that if you are only going for a couple of weeks holiday they could decide not to let someone in on a whim. I've been told that even if I get the waiver, it's up to Border Control whether you get in or not - that's really not very fair but we just have to suck it up I guess.

Good luck and let us know.

J
By yklad81 - 5 Jul 11 12:47 PM

Hi Jinty,

Will let you know on here how i get on only 98 days to go (Not that I am counting). When it comes to CBP they can refuse anyone entry ESTA or with a Visa no one has a right to go into the USA (Thats what a visa officer told me). I hope it goes well for you. Did the consular officer sound positive?

D

Hi yklad81

She was extremely nice but very upfront in that she couldn't grant me a visa and told me she would put me forward for a waiver. She said the same thing as you i.e. they can refuse anyone visa or not. It's a bit worrying though as if I did get a waiver, decide to go to USA and spend quite a bit on the holiday, I could theoretically just get turned back and would have lost all that money. 98 days will go in fast, it's scary to think we are a whisper away from July - this year's flying in.

Good luck
By smuff77 - 28 Jun 14 1:41 PM

Perhaps you can help me. My other half has several convictions for minor offences: shoplifting, criminal damage and another one that he cant remember what the charge was but basically he was staying with mates and the police raided their flat. Hubby was blood and urine tested and found to have taken amphetamine. thinks he got a conditional discharge. This all happened back in the 70's and 80's. He got arrested about 10yrs ago because someone made a counter claim that he had hit them when in actual fact it was the other way round. However, he was never charged and was actually a witness in the ensuing Court case.
He went to the States 15 yrs ago with his ex who filled out his form on the plane as he was asleep. She woke him to sign it but had already put 'no' to convictions or arrests as she thought as they were spent they didnt count.
We want to go to the US in 9 months time but not sure what to do. He doesnt want to lie on the ESTA and get sent back on arrival. However, it seems he is unlikely to get granted a visa as theft is classed as moral turpitude and adding to that theres the problem that last time he went to the US the form claimed he had no convictions/arrests.
What a predicament!
By oliviathomas - 10 Feb 15 10:11 AM

good luck to name change