theForum

Name and shame list of employers who discriminate against people with unspent convictions

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic2156.aspx

By james gtr manchester - 19 Aug 16 11:21 PM

HI,

I've been doing some research with regards to the FCA and employment of people within the financial sector

====================
We have a fit and proper test which is a benchmark weuse to assess whether an individual is suitable to perform a controlled function. Examples of controlled functions include being a director of a regulated firm, overseeing the firms systems and controls and being responsible for compliance with our rules.

When considering an individual's fitness and propriety we look at honesty including openness with self-disclosures, integrity, reputation and competence and capability and financial soundness. But we don't have any specific rules around the firms we regulate employing individuals with convictions. 

====================

I've looked at the FCA policy and the following is states (

FIT 2.1 Honesty, integrity and reputation)

G

A relevant authorised person determining the honesty, integrity and reputation of staff being assessed under FIT, should consider all relevant matters, including those set out inFIT 2.1.3G, which may have arisen either in the United Kingdom or elsewhere. Firmsshould inform themselves of relevant matters, including checking for convictions for criminal offences (where possible) and contacting previous employers who have employed that candidate or person. If any staff being assessed under FIT has a conviction for a criminal offence, the firm should consider the seriousness of and circumstances surrounding the offence, the explanation offered by that person, the relevance of the offence to the proposed role, the passage of time since the offence was committed and evidence of the individual’s rehabilitation.

By james gtr manchester - 20 Aug 16 1:30 AM

experian (southport)
Silverbug
UKFast

By Sky - 21 Oct 16 11:27 PM

New Look - I was offered a job but the offer was subsequently withdrawn after I informed the manager that I had a conviction.
Clarks
By james gtr manchester - 6 Nov 16 9:12 AM

Manchester Airport now!
By Deb S - 7 Nov 16 9:59 AM

james gtr manchester - 6 Nov 16 9:12 AM
Manchester Airport now!

Hi James

What was the nature of the job at Manchester Airport?

Would it have been a role that would have required an airside pass?  

Debs 
By aim - 8 Oct 10 11:54 AM

In the spirit of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the legal power it gives employers to discriminate against people with unspent convictions I am exercising my right of free speech to name the employers who have rejected me for employment on the basis of my unspent conviction. Please feel free to add to the list below.

Royal Bank of Canada
The Prudential
LV=