theForum

ESTA Travel with future husband...

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24436.aspx

By RoxL - 13 Mar 17 6:31 PM

Hi all!  I think I already know the answer to this but just wanted to get this off my chest and get the personal advice......

I am getting married later in the year and going to Canada (2 nights) and USA (10 nights) on honeymoon.  Hopefully   My husband to be has previous convictions, a few drunk & disorderlies and one more unpleasant one but he only had a 6 month sentance and they were over 10 years ago.  They were also before he was married the first time round.  The reason this is pertinant is because he took his ex-wifes name when he got married due to family issues with his dad, so his record is also in his previous name.

Stupidly without thinking I sorted USA ESTAs, and the Canadian equivalent without even considering his convictions, cause he's not that person to me, and has always been honest, never hid any of it from me.

I had a panic attack on Friday when a friend of mine shared a news report about Trumps latest craziness on travel, thought I'd do some reading and read myself into a right state!

It sounds from what I've read on here as the UK doesn't share police database info routinely with the US we should be fine?  I spoke to him about it and he hadn't realised I hadn't declared his convictions but is happy given the no sharing of info thing to go for it.  I considered the apply for a proper visa route, but I am worried that given he has an approved ESTA (my fault) it would look really dodgy applying for a visa and would likely result in a decline if the embassy clocked the initial lack of disclosure.........

What's your guys thoughts / experiences?  Thank you so much, I'm so worried about what I've inadvertantly done here!!
By BenS - 27 Mar 17 8:10 AM

serpico - 25 Mar 17 5:36 AM

Are you saying? If convictions are spent you do not need to declare them on an ESTA application on line?

Officially, you do need to declare them (the US has no concept of "spent"), unofficially no you don't; they have no way of accessing UK criminal records unless they do a specific Interpol request (as Deb said, they need very good grounds for doing so, not just a random check) or you volunteer the information.