theForum

New job - but a moral dilemma. What would you do?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic25145.aspx

By RunningMan - 24 Apr 18 4:20 PM

Hello
After some big battles (e.g. Google effect problems, being unfairly dismissed from a previous role, being refused access to higher education, getting my SOPO discharged early and fighting to get a clean Basic DBS check), I have finally got an amazing new job. This role is the first step on a new career path, for which I have studied really hard. I was so pleased. I now have a clear DBS and the convictions are spent (it felt so good not having to 'tick the box'). 
However, these days employers add rather sneaky, 'catch-all' clauses like: "The information in this application form is true and complete. I agree that any deliberate omission, falsification or misrepresentation in the application form will be grounds for rejecting this application or subsequent dismissal if employed by the organisation." I want a fresh start, I want to work and contribute to society once again. My convictions are spent; the SOPO is gone and I did nothing wrong that resulted being unfairly dismissed from my previous role. Yet I know if I did mention my SO status, or being dismissed to my now new employer, regardless of whether my convictions are spent or not, they would never have offered me the job in the first place! But what else can I do? Legally I am not in the wrong but technically have I 'deliberately omitted or misrepresented' my situation and so deserve the consequences? Let me know what you think...
RM

By AB2014 - 28 Sep 20 12:32 PM

Mr W - 25 Sep 20 2:33 PM
RunningMan - 24 Apr 18 4:20 PM
Hello
After some big battles (e.g. Google effect problems, being unfairly dismissed from a previous role, being refused access to higher education, getting my SOPO discharged early and fighting to get a clean Basic DBS check), I have finally got an amazing new job. This role is the first step on a new career path, for which I have studied really hard. I was so pleased. I now have a clear DBS and the convictions are spent (it felt so good not having to 'tick the box'). 
However, these days employers add rather sneaky, 'catch-all' clauses like: "The information in this application form is true and complete. I agree that any deliberate omission, falsification or misrepresentation in the application form will be grounds for rejecting this application or subsequent dismissal if employed by the organisation." I want a fresh start, I want to work and contribute to society once again. My convictions are spent; the SOPO is gone and I did nothing wrong that resulted being unfairly dismissed from my previous role. Yet I know if I did mention my SO status, or being dismissed to my now new employer, regardless of whether my convictions are spent or not, they would never have offered me the job in the first place! But what else can I do? Legally I am not in the wrong but technically have I 'deliberately omitted or misrepresented' my situation and so deserve the consequences? Let me know what you think...
RM

Would love to know what happened with the original poster, if you're still here RunningMan, how are you getting on? It'd be good to hear about life after orders...

According to his profile, he hasn't logged in for 2 months, so he might be around. No need for him to log in just to read the Forum, except for certain sections.