theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

mexico & dominican republic advice needed please

mexico & dominican republic advice needed please

Author
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I wouldn't think the nature of the conviction is the issue but that's just my opinion. A thread about Mexico was recently deleted but basically someone was stopped entering Mexico at Cancun and put on the next plane back, and the only reason they could think of as to why this happened was that they'd applied for a US visa and mentioned their conviction, so they suspected the USA had told the Mexican authorities.

I went to Mexico last year without any problem but I deliberately went via Europe not USA (as then you have the visa waiver/visa disclosure issue) so as long as you don't go via USA I wouldn't see any problem.

As for Dominican Rep no problem see last FAQ https://www.dominicanembassy.org.uk/FAQ.html[url]

Post Edited (forever changes) : 21/06/2014 00:30:28 (GMT+2)

forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Mirrorman said...
If you were convicted of a sexual offense and the Mexican authorities are alerted to your arrival, most likely by Interpol through a green notice you will be denied entry and sent home within a matter of hours.

not true
lin
lin
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)Supreme Being (948 reputation)

Hi , I went to Mexico a few years ago loved it , never had any trouble , I was sentenced to 4 years in 1970s and served 1 year after an appeal and parole , I did wonder and was a little nervous when I entered the country but nothing was ever said , I fact I have been to many many places and never everhad any mention of this good luck .
aim
aim
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I went to Mexico in the middle of my two year probation order and had no problems whatsoever. I just needed my probation officer to ok the trip as I'd miss a couple of weekly meetings.

One thing to note is that I hadn't been to the states on a visa before this trip. Not sure if the US and Mexico share data about foreign nationals but Canada and the US certainly share criminal record information on drink driving convictions. Canada will not admit you with a US drink driving conviction.
stuart82
stuart82
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

This would certainly explain my recent denial in Mexico.

What is very worrying however is how this information is being shared with foreign countries. As I understand it, an Interpol notice has to be initiated by a local authority for each trip. I've had confirmation from my local police force that they didn't do this, so how/why was I 'flagged'? I suspected the US may have done this as I've been going through the visa application process, however I'm now wondering if this perhaps isn't the case.

I have to travel abroad as part of my job. If I'm denied entry when I'm travelling on business, I will lose my job. How are we supposed to get on with our lives when all of this uncertainly hangs over us each time we dare to leave our country.
stuart82
stuart82
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

Hi there,

I was the person who was recently denied entry to Mexico (Cancun) at the beginning of June. I have a conviction which cannot be discussed here from 2010. I don't believe my visit was disclosed by the UK police who were aware of the trip. I do however strongly suspect that the USA disclosed this information as I have been going through the application process for a US visa. They have all of the details available to them at their end, much of which I didn't tell them (another completely different story). I suspect strongly the USA were involved as the photograph the Mexican authorities had of me at the top of a report was one which I have provided previously to the US Embassy in London for a previous visa application! My denial was in relation to my specific offence however so others could be OK.
stuart82
stuart82
Supreme Being

I can tell you from experience in Mexico only a couple of months ago that they knew about my conviction BEFORE they scanned my passport. I was pulled out of line before I even got to the desk.

They received a report about my conviction which was 2/3 pages in length with my photograph at the top. They knew about my arrival before I got there - most likely through checking names from the advance passenger information list against a database. What that database is however is an unknown. My situation is as described in the links above where US citizens have been denied entry. Perhaps this is because the US have shared the info they have on me with Mexico, or they found out via other means.

Is anyone aware of a any way to obtain how information about you is being shared cross-borders? I contacted Interpol about this and asked for all information they held about me and the response suggested nothing!
aae13
aae13
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)Supreme Being (476 reputation)

Hi Hayley

I went to Cancun in March, flying from Gatwick. Had absolutely no problems with immigration in mexico and the landing card visa did not have any questions at all about convictions or arrests. I have a conviction of which cannot be named and the police knew about the trip and were fine with me going. If they were going to alert any authorities and prevent me getting in then then I imagine they would have done so.

It was a direct flight, am not sure if that helps. I don't know about Dominican I'm afraid

Hope you have a great trip
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

It is true.

Read this.
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being

If you were convicted of a sexual offense and the Mexican authorities are alerted to your arrival, most likely by Interpol through a green notice you will be denied entry and sent home within a matter of hours.

So you must by law tell the authorities you will be leaving, they will pass this info onto Interpol who in turn will issue a green notice to the destination country where you will be denied.

This will not happen for other offenses.
GO