theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New job but a conviction

New job but a conviction

Author
nathan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I think you're worrying needlessly. Assuming your previous employer was unaware?

The job strictly speaking can't ask you to declare spent convictions, which yours is. If they discriminate against you it's illegal.

Meanwhile in the real world, have you got an unusual name? Have you googled yourself? Try a few different search engines. Is there a link, references or people linked to the employer who know about your past?

I usually advocate making a stand. However this job isn't exempt and your conviction is spent. You legally do not need to declare.

.....and they haven't asked for spent convictions (just as well because it would have been illegal). A bit unusual that they haven't asked for unspent convictions, was there a waiver saying the job was dependent on these checks, even then they are putting themselves on a sticky wicket. If they have offered you a job and then rescind this because of a spent conviction and formally document this is the reason, it's a law suit waiting to happen.

In a year or so, this conviction will be filtered completely out of the system, so unless you are working as a policeman or M15 you can apply in bliss, even for roles like a nurse or social worker.
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Your conviction is spent. You done something really dumb and have been punished. You have learnt your lesson. You are not a criminal, you are someone who once committed a crime and won't do it again.

You need not disclosed. If asked if you have any convictions your answer is legally 'no'. Good luck with the job.
Markb03
Markb03
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)

Thank you both for your advice. It has certainly put me at ease now.
Markb03
Markb03
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)

Hi all,

I have gone for a job with a retail shop as a delivery driver. I have had a interview and passed that and now I have a driving assessment this Saturday. So far no one has asked me if I have any convictions spent or unspent.

My conviction was in 2005 and I was working in a shop where I stole money to fund my court case to see my daughter. I was petrified I would loose access and made some very wrong decisions which clearly I regret.

The job has said they do back ground checks so this has worried me now that I will not get it.

At court I was given £775ish fine and 240 hours community service. Will this affect my application.

I have so far been working for the past 7 years in another retail shop and progressing to a assistant manager.

Many thanks for any advice
GO