theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

For anyone thinking of going to the USA but is afriad. JUST GO!!

For anyone thinking of going to the USA but is afriad. JUST GO!!

Author
lingsguest
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)Supreme Being (402 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
just found this little article which may help this arguement of moral turpitude, or not Smile

"Little guidance is provided to the traveler as to which offenses are included in the definition; however the website of the U.S. embassy in London states that a visa is required for anyone who has ever been arrested or convicted for any offense.[9] This appears to be at variance with the question on form I-94W and information supplied by the US Department of Homeland Security, as there are many offenses that are not considered to involve moral turpitude"
turbo
turbo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)

Assault 3.5 years prison 23 years ago, not eligible ever to visit the us, but have been granted a waiver of ineligibility visa 3 times...

tell the truth and you should be ok
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

Good to hear, Turbo!

It's not a black and white situation with anything is what I'm finding out.
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

If I had never been there before I would have went and ticked no for everything, but they have all my details, even my fingerprints.

USA has the most wide reaching and advanced surveillance agencies in the world, they will know if they need to.
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being

I do so much research on this even I don't know, in my view this is the situation;

If you have ever been to the States before, they'll know.
If you are on the SOR, they'll know.
If you have managed to attract Interpol notice, they'll know.
If you had extensive media coverage, they'll know.
If you have any convictions for terrorism, or any terrorist affiliations ,they'll know.

Look at what they have added for the ESTA, even more info.

Otherwise they will not have a clue and providing you say nothing you'll breeze through fine.

I've been to the states many times before, but will not chance it without getting a waiver of ineligibility.
Worried mum
Worried mum
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)

Hi can anybody give me some advise please. 18 months ago my son was caught in possession of a small amount of cocaine. He was told by his social worker because he was under the age of 18 when his 9 months prob period was up he would not need to declare it. We are having a family holiday in us soon and didn't think this would be an issue, we already have a esta visa we just need to update and I was not going to declare it. Worried they may be able to see his record after reading comments on here?
Worried mum
Worried mum
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)Supreme Being (796 reputation)

He was arrested and given a probation period. Totally out of character and a mistake he never wants to repeat! I guess if we don't tell them we will be ok ( hopefully). Thanks for the advice

Post Edited (Worried mum) : 01/09/2012 11:44:38 (GMT+1)

Shieldster
Shieldster
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)Supreme Being (334 reputation)

Just a brief update on this - The US Embassy's decision on using a police caution as a reason to not issue a holiday visa/work visa was changed last year. Before that time, cautions were not applicable as a reason to refuse entry.

However since that time, the embassy officials can and have been refusing visas to applicants with various "past misdemeanours" and do not look favourably upon those who have entered the country under a "misrepresentation". It can cost a significant amount of time to get past this illegibility (if at all).

I would seriously recommend that anyone looking to travel to the US apply through the proper channels, it's not worth it and with all the changes going on in UK law at the moment, hopefully there will be a far better and easier route in the future Smile
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Yup agreed UK and US are very similar and UK is following suite and copying US in many things they are now understanding its a money making scheme, its just more made up thought crimes just like any other law enforcer they require a reason to make a case and get paid for it.

If its just a regular holiday I say go for it and have fun its just very rare they would block you after all. living or working in US is another thing and most likely not worth working in one giant prison state.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

There has been no real evidence to suggest the US has full access to UKs PNC database, if someone did however notify them be it from US or UK then of course it would be recorded but this is rare from my understanding, the US border control would only check into you if some solid reason existed ie you looked nervous or sweating while in the cue or you visited another country which shared the intel with US.

Otherwise just like that massive 70 page+ thread regarding US travel here:

https://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=22639&start=691

As the vibe on that massive post suggest if its just for a holiday go and have fun Smile
GO