theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New to the forum

New to the forum

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi R91S

Welcome to the Forum.

I'd agree with everything Caterpillar says. I speak to people every day who, despite having a criminal conviction have secured employment in many roles and professions.

This conviction is just a very small part of who you are. Remember don't disclose your conviction too early (i.e. not on an application form) allow an employer to see your skills and strengths first.

Good luck with the job hunting. If you feel it would be good to have a chat with somebody who has been in a similar position, please give the Unlock Helpline a ring.

Best wishes

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

I got a job after 2 weeks being released from prison for Section 20 - unlawful wounding.

Fast forward a year I'm earning £30k+ and travelling internationally in my management role.

Don't give up just because there's barriers in the way. Concentrate on breaking them down - first and foremost, sell your strengths, experience and education.

AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Whilst I do agree with the Helpline and Caterpillar to some degree employment isnt always that straight forward there are so many variables.

Education
Experience
Type of offence (as there are certain offences which get you written off doesnt matter how good you are)
What area of work
CV quality (which is always a pain as everyone seems to have their own idea of a good CV)
How you come across, obviously if someone is lucky enough to be to talk the talk you seem to be able to grab any role once you get to interview stage.

Unfortunately my experience has been far tougher I rarely get any replies and have been out of work nearly 10 months in a financially dire situation so education options are limited and I am not prepared to take on more debt and family are no better so cant even ask for the money, I have plenty of experience with a good company but it seems it doesn't count for much I get written without off even getting to the point of having to disclose.

Best of luck though hopefully you will have a better experience than me.
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

No worries financial services arent the most difficult to get employment whilst having a record unless its fraud related and then you have no chance but obviously it is far easier if you are spent as most financial roles will ask and more than likely do some kind of check.

My advice think about where you want to go. now is as a good a time as any to have a career change if something takes your fancy and just taking a guess but I assume you are under 25 so apprenticeships would possibly be still an option.
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being

While it would be unlikely they would prosecute due to failure to disclose even if you lied, there is no guarantee they will not pull the job offer, until you have had your contract and even then you still have to wait for probation periods to end before you really have any ammunition for unfair dismissal.

I personally would wait and if HR argue the toss you can tell them you were never asked at the interview stage.
R91S
R91S
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

Hi there,

just me quickly back on to my own topic. Basically what has happened is that I have received a Job offer from a company and they are in the process of doing the security checks etc.

At no point have they asked me to declare any convictions of myself they have just asked if I agree to them doing any checks.
In anyones opinion should I phone them and tell them that this will pop up or will I just leave it for them to find out.

Essentially I have not denied have any convictions so it wouldn't back fire on me that way for not declaring them?
?

Post Edited (R91S) : 28/10/2014 15:05:51 (GMT+1)

R91S
R91S
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

No problem guys thanks for your advice, has definitely picked up my spirits regarding the situation.
R91S
R91S
Supreme Being

Hi there I've came here from some advice and past experiences of others.

Recently I got into a drunken fight uptown and have ended up pleading guilty to assault and received a fine for this.
I have just came back from travelling for a few months and now on the job hunt. Having previously gone to uni and worked in financial services before going travelling I was wondering realistically I should rule out working in financial services again? And it seems from reading that the job hunt whilst having an unspent conviction is very difficult?

Thanks for any help
GO