theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling to Usa

Travelling to Usa

Author
JohnL
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Very interested to hear if anyone has successfully applied for an ESTA and travelled to the US trouble free after coming off the register. I came off it 12 months ago and may have to travel for a conference with my boss (so obviously very nervous and trying to get out of going...).

PPU when I came off the register said that my Visor record would be archived but not deleted, so if a copper did a search it wouldn't likely flag as me previously having a visor record but it would state achieved rather than live.

The HOWI (UK watch list) is linked to Visor. When I was on the register and travelled (before the article 38 notices started on us all after the UK joined SIS2, UKBF on return would see a flag but the EU countries didn't. So it prompts some questions -

1) am I still on the HOWI even though my Visor record is archived?
2) Has the U.K. ever shared my details with the US, meaning that my name and DoB etc may now be on a US watchlist?
3) If I change my passport and get a new passport number, if number 2 has happened would I still have problems with a new passport number?

Quite worried about travelling to the US with the boss, if I get an ESTA at all! Since coming off the register I have travelled on holiday to Abu Dhabi and a few times to the EU without any problem either landing or on return, but it depends what the US does and doesn't know.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

[quote]
scotboy - 14 Oct 16 9:36 PM
Yankee, I did apply for an ESTA and it arrived a few weeks later
This itself is telling, because 95% of the time, a positive ESTA decision is made automatically within seconds.

Taking weeks would suggest that it may have been diverted for manual processing and that it was then decided by a human being to approve your application.
scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)

Anyone any new information on travel to USA while on the register....I've posted  before, I was granted an esta  but decided not to go.

If you are granted an esta is it safe to go? I was concerned that once I registered my travel details the police would inform border control or

the American authorities and I would be stopped either from leaving or barred at the US side...thanks.

JohnL
JohnL
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

Also interested in this, but from the point of view of someone who no longer has to register as of 3 months ago.

Have family in USA and want to see them. I travelled to Malaysia last year with no problem whilst still on the register so don't think a green notice was put on me, but I did have a problem with a family holiday to Italy (few extra questions at Italian passport control), so suggests that I had an article 36/EU SIS notice put on me.

Thinking of applying for an ESTA in the hope that all is ok, just worried about getting turfed off the plane in the UK or sent back when at border control in Florida...
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

JohnL - 23 Feb 17 10:24 AM
Also interested in this, but from the point of view of someone who no longer has to register as of 3 months ago.Have family in USA and want to see them. I travelled to Malaysia last year with no problem whilst still on the register so don't think a green notice was put on me, but I did have a problem with a family holiday to Italy (few extra questions at Italian passport control), so suggests that I had an article 36/EU SIS notice put on me.Thinking of applying for an ESTA in the hope that all is ok, just worried about getting turfed off the plane in the UK or sent back when at border control in Florida...

In theory when you provide advanced passenger information (API) to the airline, it will be scanned by the US authorities.  If you flag up for any reason, the airline should prevent you boarding as they would be liable for the costs of flying you home if you are denied entry.

I'd apply for an ESTA anyway and see whether it gets approved - it doesn't guarantee entry but if it's rejected you can be fairly sure you're on a US database somewhere 
scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)

I was granted an ESTA.......but the more I thought of it the less appealing it became,I didn't want to travel all the way to US and be refused entry.
GO