theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Help Needed - Unfounded Allegation in DBS Notes

Help Needed - Unfounded Allegation in DBS Notes

Author
mikec1979
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)Supreme Being (870 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

Around 6 years ago I had an unfounded allegation made against me. I was an NVQ Assessor and was accused by my ex employer of sending inappropriate messages to learners.

It was completely untrue, they tried to ruin my career as I whistle-blew on them for filing fraudulent paperwork to the skills funding agency.

I was spoken to by the police, not a formal interview, it was in my kitchen at home. No formal complaint was made against me.  This all appears in the "notes" section of my DBS certificate as the Chief Inspector deemed it appropriate to disclose as he thought I worked with vulnerable groups.  I do not, and did not work with vulnerable adults. I worked with people that work in the care industry.

I have appealed to the Chief Inspector to have this removed which has recently been denied.

Please can anyone offer any advice or feedback? This is affecting my ability to work in my chosen industry and currently I have to work in a job paying on average £12,000 a year less.  I have a family with 2 kids, a partner and this is having a huge affect on my family life. 

Thank you
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
mikec1979 - 13 Nov 16 11:11 PM
Hi all,

Around 6 years ago I had an unfounded allegation made against me. I was an NVQ Assessor and was accused by my ex employer of sending inappropriate messages to learners.

It was completely untrue, they tried to ruin my career as I whistle-blew on them for filing fraudulent paperwork to the skills funding agency.

I was spoken to by the police, not a formal interview, it was in my kitchen at home. No formal complaint was made against me.  This all appears in the "notes" section of my DBS certificate as the Chief Inspector deemed it appropriate to disclose as he thought I worked with vulnerable groups.  I do not, and did not work with vulnerable adults. I worked with people that work in the care industry.

I have appealed to the Chief Inspector to have this removed which has recently been denied.

Please can anyone offer any advice or feedback? This is affecting my ability to work in my chosen industry and currently I have to work in a job paying on average £12,000 a year less.  I have a family with 2 kids, a partner and this is having a huge affect on my family life. 

Thank you

Hi Mikec1979

As you've already applied to the police force then your next step is to challenge the police decision to disclose this information through the Independent Monitor.

To do this, you'll need to write to 

Customer Services (Disputes)
Disclosure and Barring Service
1st Floor West
PO Box 165
Liverpool L69 3JD

Setting out your reasons why you don't think that it should be disclosed.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO