theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Does luxury retail job can ask for standard dbs check ?

Does luxury retail job can ask for standard dbs check ?

Author
ocetau
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi
I've been receiving a simple caution in February and I am working in luxury retail.
I've been applying for jobs in compagny who were doing pre-employrment screening and asked me this question : "Have you ever been convicted of, or received, a formal police caution or warning for an offence not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974?"
Can I answer no to this question ? Can they see my simple caution on a basic check ? Are they able to do a standard check because the job is only a sales assistant position for luxury brand

Thanks for your answer
Regards
Océane
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

ocetau - 4 Apr 17 1:09 PM
Hi I've been receiving a simple caution in February and I am working in luxury retail. I've been applying for jobs in compagny who were doing pre-employrment screening and asked me this question : "Have you ever been convicted of, or received, a formal police caution or warning for an offence not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974?"Can I answer no to this question ? Can they see my simple caution on a basic check ? Are they able to do a standard check because the job is only a sales assistant position for luxury brand Thanks for your answer Regards Océane

Hi Ocetau

The majority of retail jobs are covered by the ROA, even those that involve working for a luxury brand.

Your employer would only be able to carry out a basic criminal record check and the question they've asked certainly seems to suggest that they're well aware of this. As cautions are spent immediately under the ROA, you can answer 'No' to the question.

Good luck with the job.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
ocetau
ocetau
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)

Thank you very much Debs for you answer. I thought I will never find a job again.
Thank you
Océane
GO