theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Can I date a teacher

Can I date a teacher

Author
The bear
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi

I was disqualified from teaching 5 years ago. Since then I have rebuilt my life after being divorced. This has included starting and building a new professional career and buying a home. I’ve started to date a girl and discovered she is a teacher. I’ve been reading about disqualification by association and I’m guessing this would apply? It seems to be under the prefix if I tell her I would if I don’t how would they find out? I was not placed on the DBS register and there have been no criminal proceedings.

Can someone advise me on this matter
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The bear - 12 Nov 17 7:55 PM
HiI was disqualified from teaching 5 years ago. Since then I have rebuilt my life after being divorced. This has included starting and building a new professional career and buying a home. I’ve started to date a girl and discovered she is a teacher. I’ve been reading about disqualification by association and I’m guessing this would apply? It seems to be under the prefix if I tell her I would if I don’t how would they find out? I was not placed on the DBS register and there have been no criminal proceedings.Can someone advise me on this matter

Hi 

Disqualification by association only applies if you're living with your girlfriend.  

Also, it will only apply to your girlfriend if she provides childcare to children up to and including reception age both during and outside school hours or if she provides childcare outside of school hours (for example breakfast clubs) to children up to the age of 8 years. 

If there were no criminal proceedings taken against you, then it's unlikely that your girlfriend would be disqualified by association. We've got some further guidance here which may be of interest. 

This is quite a complex subject so feel free to give our helpline a call if you'd like any further information. 

Kind regards

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO