theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Where can I seek permanent residency with a criminal record?

Where can I seek permanent residency with a criminal record?

Author
jcm-1590
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)Supreme Being (426 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Title says it all
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Currently (and I stress that word), you can move to any EU country and you have the automatic right to live, work and retire there. You can get "permanent residency" after living uninterrupted for 5 years in an EU country, but you can still legally live there right now if you wanted to.

If you are subject to any specific orders/notification requirements in the UK, it is subject to the UK authorities/Probation/police etc. giving you the all-clear to go and live abroad. If you're not subject to any of these conditions, then you're free to go and live and work anywhere in the EU - for the moment! Go sooner rather than later if this is your serious plan.

Some EU countries have fairly low requirements for eventually gaining citizenship - thus EU citizenship post-Brexit - e.g. by simply living in that country for a certain number of years (5, 7, 10 ... depends on the country).

Independently from the EU, British citizens have automatic and unlimited right of abode in the Republic of Ireland and enjoy quasi-citizenship status, i.e. they can vote in all elections (except presidential elections and constitutional referendums), work there with no restrictions, and are entitled to all the benefits as if you were an Irish citizen.

Lastly, some countries in the developing world (mainly Africa and poorer parts of Latin America) have lax systems for checking criminal records, and don't even ask about convictions on visa forms. But you would probably need a job there to be allowed to live there - I'm not sure you could just move there because you felt like it, like you currently can in Europe.
Normallife
Normallife
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)

Im also interested in living in Europe but I'm not sure what jobs I could do or any field I could go into considering the language barriers. Anyone got any ideas where I could just get a basic job for an English speaker?
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Normallife - 1 Dec 17 3:29 PM
Im also interested in living in Europe but I'm not sure what jobs I could do or any field I could go into considering the language barriers. Anyone got any ideas where I could just get a basic job for an English speaker?

The best thing is probably to go where there are English speakers - the Republic of Ireland, certain parts of France (Dordogne?) or Spain, or maybe Gibraltar and possibly Malta or Cyprus.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO