theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Author
JGUK68
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 6 Dec 19 2:13 PM
JASB - 6 Dec 19 12:51 PM
Mr W - 27 Nov 19 2:16 PM
I'm on the SOR and have just enjoyed a holiday in Qatar. I have no travel restrictions but I went to the station and filled in the holiday form seven days before departure, as the rules state, and I did feel anxious about being questioned at passport control.
I'm happy to report I felt I was treated as a civilian, they take your photo, do fingerprints for your visitor's visa (you can stay up to 30 days with the option to extend) and they give you your passport back and that's that. When I was given my passport back it was like it was in slow motion because I was so relieved - I had no idea what to expect.
I'm hoping that might be useful for those wanting to attend the World Cup in 2022.

Hi Mr W
many thanks for your encouraging words. I am hoping to travel around Europe next year using a camper van so it will be interesting how that is managed. I am classed as low risk, in fact it's been circa 1 year since PPU's last visit.

Once you are in France you are in the Schengen Area, and can drive almost anywhere from Portugal to the Russian border with no border controls (with the exception of most of the former Yugoslavian countries and the Black Sea countries). Technically you just need to tell them you're going to France and tell them the address of the first night of your trip and your return date. While you have to tell them any countries you're planning to visit, if your trip is reasonably spontaneous day to day then you can say, or not say, what you want.

Not really. Always check for the Schengen agreement temporary suspension.  They check your passport and ask you awful questions. It happened to me. 
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

JASB - 6 Dec 19 12:51 PM
I'm on the SOR and have just enjoyed a holiday in Qatar. I have no travel restrictions but I went to the station and filled in the holiday form seven days before departure, as the rules state, and I did feel anxious about being questioned at passport control.
I'm happy to report I felt I was treated as a civilian, they take your photo, do fingerprints for your visitor's visa (you can stay up to 30 days with the option to extend) and they give you your passport back and that's that. When I was given my passport back it was like it was in slow motion because I was so relieved - I had no idea what to expect.
I'm hoping that might be useful for those wanting to attend the World Cup in 2022.

Hi Mr W
many thanks for your encouraging words. I am hoping to travel around Europe next year using a camper van so it will be interesting how that is managed. I am classed as low risk, in fact it's been circa 1 year since PPU's last visit.

Once you are in France you are in the Schengen Area, and can drive almost anywhere from Portugal to the Russian border with no border controls (with the exception of most of the former Yugoslavian countries and the Black Sea countries). Technically you just need to tell them you're going to France and tell them the address of the first night of your trip and your return date. While you have to tell them any countries you're planning to visit, if your trip is reasonably spontaneous day to day then you can say, or not say, what you want.
Edited
5 Years Ago by BenS
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi Mr W

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

punter99 - 8 Nov 19 3:16 PM
Harry53 - 28 Oct 19 8:57 PM
Normallife - 2 Mar 18 10:39 PM
Ultimately most countries don't ask about past convictions at all. It's mostly the English speaking countries- USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand which will ask and they would most likely deny you entry. However when going to countries which don't ask, the only way those countries can find out is if your PPU have placed a green notice on your passport. So when they scan it your conviction details will show up and then they will most likely deny you entry. 

Travelling to the EU is another matter- you have the legal right to travel and even reside in any of the EU countries (whilst we're still in the EU). 

What I find annoying and somewhat against my Human Rights, is that whenever I go through passport control in Europe something gets flagged up on the officers screen. 

Is it not my right to know what it says? Same for any Green Card issued , I feel it is my right to be informed that it has been issued so that I can be prepared or even given the choice not to travel, knowing there is a high chance of refusal.
I just think it is totally unfair that whatever is connected to my passport is hidden from me.

The other gripe I have s that my offence was an internet one and not a contact sexual offence, but I get the feeling that whatever the offers see, may make them think I am a serious sex offenders. It is not a nice feeling

I've been told by a PPO that the only thing that gets flagged up is a note saying "known to UK authorities". It says nothing about your offence or any restrictions you have. That can have negative consequences as it often encourages people reading it to imagine the worst, but equally they may decide it is not bad enough to warrant further investigation.This ambiguity probably explains why some ex-offenders report no problems and yet other people get stopped. It all comes down to what the person checking thinks and how suspicios they are.

I was told by a PPU officer that the original message was "Wanted and missing", which even led to a French border control officer at St Pancras drawing his gun, quickly followed by his colleague doing the same. Thankfully, they were persuaded to read the full text on screen and they were then able to carry out their "discreet" check. These days, it's supposed to be a discreet check, but it depends on the relevant officer's knowledge and experience. Any travel into or within the Schengen Area should lead to a discreet check, but if they know what it's about and they're busy they might not bother. Or they might not bother just because they can't be bothered.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

BenS - 30 Oct 19 8:38 AM

What I find annoying and somewhat against my Human Rights, is that whenever I go through passport control in Europe something gets flagged up on the officers screen. 

Is it not my right to know what it says? Same for any Green Card issued , I feel it is my right to be informed that it has been issued so that I can be prepared or even given the choice not to travel, knowing there is a high chance of refusal.
I just think it is totally unfair that whatever is connected to my passport is hidden from me.

The other gripe I have s that my offence was an internet one and not a contact sexual offence, but I get the feeling that whatever the offers see, may make them think I am a serious sex offenders. It is not a nice feeling

I agree with you, but sadly the right to know about what data authorities have on you, does not extend to data pertaining to criminal intelligence. There is always an exception for this, whether it's in EU law, UK law or the law of any other country.

As for your other gripe, I am in the same situation and also agree with you. But sadly, people who've committed a single internet offence are treated the same way as serial rapists. It's the stupid culture we live in unfortunately.

Hi
I do apologize in advance for what I am about to say and please do not take it personally. I have committed a sex offence, I didn't know it was illegal to pay for sex with someone under the age of 18. Where is that advertised/taught? Please do not waste energy in an attempt to vilify me as I do that to myself on both moral and psychological grounds.
I am sure you accept that even a single photo can create multi victims, it is just the mind that gains a perception of it acceptability and so dissociates you from the reality. 
It is hard to prove that when someone is willing to look at an image on a computer, they will not look at the same person (type) in real life and possibly go further?
It may sound off the wall but think of the bigger picture: advertisers manipulate that aspect of the brain all the time; you see an advert for a cream cake and you want / buy one. That is why society now have so many addictions. 

Read this book by Paul Gilbert PhD, as it will explain further the conflicts our brain created in prehistoric time is attempting to adjust to modern day life complexities. "The Compassionate Mind: A New Approach to Life's Challenges"
ISBN: 184529713X | 2009 |

I wish you well in maintaining an offence free life.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Harry53 - 30 Oct 19 6:16 PM

I agree with you, but sadly the right to know about what data authorities have on you, does not extend to data pertaining to criminal intelligence. There is always an exception for this, whether it's in EU law, UK law or the law of any other country.

As for your other gripe, I am in the same situation and also agree with you. But sadly, people who've committed a single internet offence are treated the same way as serial rapists. It's the stupid culture we live in unfortunately.

Not just stupid but grossly unfair. Not that I want to, because I do NOT, but an adult can have consensual sex with a 16 year old but you can be done for viewing a 16 & 17 year old undressed. How is that sensible and fair ? Just imagine an 18 year old boy who takes a photo of his 17 year old girlfriend my mutual consent, and he gets a criminal record because of it. The law should change to make sense. Moan over !!

Hi
If many political parties get their way a 16 - 17 year old would be able to vote?
There are many legal restrictions imposed on a 16-17 because it is felt they do not have the maturity to make a decision.

In brief if the political system sees a benefit to them then they will change something and only then.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

Normallife - 2 Mar 18 10:39 PM
Ultimately most countries don't ask about past convictions at all. It's mostly the English speaking countries- USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand which will ask and they would most likely deny you entry. However when going to countries which don't ask, the only way those countries can find out is if your PPU have placed a green notice on your passport. So when they scan it your conviction details will show up and then they will most likely deny you entry. 

Travelling to the EU is another matter- you have the legal right to travel and even reside in any of the EU countries (whilst we're still in the EU). 

I've been told by a PPO that the only thing that gets flagged up is a note saying "known to UK authorities". It says nothing about your offence or any restrictions you have. That can have negative consequences as it often encourages people reading it to imagine the worst, but equally they may decide it is not bad enough to warrant further investigation.This ambiguity probably explains why some ex-offenders report no problems and yet other people get stopped. It all comes down to what the person checking thinks and how suspicios they are.

Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Not just stupid but grossly unfair. Not that I want to, because I do NOT, but an adult can have consensual sex with a 16 year old but you can be done for viewing a 16 & 17 year old undressed. How is that sensible and fair ? Just imagine an 18 year old boy who takes a photo of his 17 year old girlfriend my mutual consent, and he gets a criminal record because of it. The law should change to make sense. Moan over !!
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Edited
5 Years Ago by BenS
GO