theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

University disclosures tick box disappears

University disclosures tick box disappears

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 22 Oct 18 7:40 AM
TheSilentE - 19 Oct 18 3:08 PM
I currently have an application pending with a university for start September 2018 (yep it weeks late).
 It has so far taken three months to gather information on the fact I had 20 indecent images on my computer five years ago. The exhaustive nature of this new investigation
is breathtaking and has included two interviews.
Quite by chance t'other day I learnt that UCAS, the student application body, has finally removed the criminal records tickbox (except for work with
vulnerable people) after years of discrimination. 
So, If my application for this year fails I can apply again happily knowing I won't have to go through this
ridiculous process. At least UCAS recognises that ex offenders who want to better themselves with higher education and 
not the same as those with out hope, jobs, support or prospects.
I am little surprised Unlock has not been making this widely known. 

Nice to know, thanks.

If it hasn't been formally announced, I guess Unlock can only know about this if someone who works for them applies to a university, or if someone like you comes on here and relates their experience :-)

This actually quite old news. Unlock did publicise it as much as they can, by the looks of it. BTW, there's also this, this and even this

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

TheSilentE - 19 Oct 18 3:08 PM
I currently have an application pending with a university for start September 2018 (yep it weeks late).
 It has so far taken three months to gather information on the fact I had 20 indecent images on my computer five years ago. The exhaustive nature of this new investigation
Quite by chance t'other day I learnt that UCAS, the student application body, has finally removed the criminal records tickbox (except for work with
So, If my application for this year fails I can apply again happily knowing I won't have to go through this
ridiculous process. At least UCAS recognises that ex offenders who want to better themselves with higher education and 

Nice to know, thanks.

If it hasn't been formally announced, I guess Unlock can only know about this if someone who works for them applies to a university, or if someone like you comes on here and relates their experience :-)
TheSilentE
TheSilentE
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)Supreme Being (292 reputation)

GO