theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Do you have a conviction but play a musical instrument?

Do you have a conviction but play a musical instrument?

Author
Jonathan61
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Mr W - 30 Mar 19 4:43 PM
Perhaps you can create a small website to get things going and point people towards that?
Then convictions or no convictions it is open for all to take part in.

I would but I'm more of a "Turn it up to 11" type of guitarist and not in the North West.
I have behind the scenes experience with an orchestra though so might be able to help in other ways.

Hi sorry it's taken a while to reply. Behind the scenes would be good too, we need all types of people. I'm going to be having a meeting with some interested parties in early May and I've also found a couple of trusts/foundations who have the potential to provide grants to charities working with ex-offenders. So there is potential. I have an initial idea of rehearsals for a full day on a Saturday once or twice a month in Liverpool City Centre with the possibilty of refunding rail fares of up to 90 mins travelling time. However, it's all ideas at present, but you have to start somewhere.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Jonathan61
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Perhaps you can create a small website to get things going and point people towards that?
Then convictions or no convictions it is open for all to take part in.

I would but I'm more of a "Turn it up to 11" type of guitarist and not in the North West.
I have behind the scenes experience with an orchestra though so might be able to help in other ways.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Jonathan61 - 28 Mar 19 12:57 PM
Hi everyone. For over 10 years, having full knowledge of my conviction, I played in a local orchestra until I was bullied/forced out by one man. Until I left, I found performing music to be wonderfully therapeutic.

In an effort to help others, I am proposing to start a music group/orchestra.

I have a conductor who is interested in helping to get things going.

I am looking for strings, woodwind, brass, percussion mainly in the NW of England around the Liverpool Area or if you can travel there.

And not just people with convictions, if you know anyone who would be "sympathetic" to the cause.

Many thanks

Hi. I'm sure this is well-intentioned, but it seems to be against the general conditions of use for the Forum. I don't see how people can contact you without posting their contact details, which is not allowed. Sorry to give you bad news, but you'll probably need to find another way for people to contact you.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Jonathan61
Jonathan61
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

Hi everyone. For over 10 years, having full knowledge of my conviction, I played in a local orchestra until I was bullied/forced out by one man. Until I left, I found performing music to be wonderfully therapeutic.

In an effort to help others, I am proposing to start a music group/orchestra.

I have a conductor who is interested in helping to get things going.

I am looking for strings, woodwind, brass, percussion mainly in the NW of England around the Liverpool Area or if you can travel there.

And not just people with convictions, if you know anyone who would be "sympathetic" to the cause.

Many thanks

GO