theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Open University- Not sure where or how to start, is it right for me and what will I get out of it?

Open University- Not sure where or how to start, is it right for me...

Author
Anonymous

If you go to their site you can download an undergrad' prospectus. Have a look through that and see what appeals.

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

MC
MC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am thinking of studying with the open University, mostly for self satisfaction and to prove to myself that I can do it. To be honest I am still trying to decide which subject/s I would like to study but I am not sure where to start and what different types of qualifications are available and what I have to do to achieve them. Any help or advice would be very much appieciated. Many thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Tom try your local colledge i started an ou course but found it hard without other students teachers to bounce my ideas off.Look tom for ages i did not even try the colledge avenue because ithought no way will the even contemplate me attending but i am proof taht some people are preapared to give us a chance, tom i attend 2 days aweek and i am the first there and have not missed a lesson so this interaction has had a positive impact on me maybe it can on you. ps have you missed me you old queen ha ha xxx

REMEMBER I WAS VAPOUR REMEMBER I AM JUST LIKE YOU!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Sorry tom ha ha iwas born 1964 so i soopose i am the old queen! you can study one day a week at college and i find being with other people helpful, but i am not working so probably need that human contact you do what is best for you. BLUE SAVANAH SONG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ps what has happened to marmite i used to like our duels!

REMEMBER I WAS VAPOUR REMEMBER I AM JUST LIKE YOU!

Post Edited (numan) : 16/11/2012 12:43:31 GMT

Anonymous
Anonymous

mc are you on benifits? if so you will be able to get funding towards your courses but be quick becase they are changing the rules in september, go for it i start a course in june on psycology pick something that you are interested in and go for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we are glass
Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Hi Tom

Have you looked had a look at the OU website and registered? Being on probation will in no way affect your application. I applied way back in May while still on probation.

I am due to begin in February 2013. I was going to begin in October, but work and personal commitments prevented this. I have just applied for my tuition fee loan and awaiting to hear back from Student Finance England.
Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Hi Tom

I would get yourself registered on the course.  Student Finance England are nice and easy to deal with.  Form is relatively simple if you're a British Citizen.  Passport details and send it off. 

If you can do 8-10 hours per week, then you could apply for the 60 credit module, which entails around 16 hours per week of study.  Obviously the lesser hours of study, then the longer it will take you to complete.  That all depends on what you're seeking as a result of the course.  If you're looking for vocational study, then I would state that you would need to increase your hours, however, from an interest perspective, then a few hours a week is plenty. 

Let us know what you choose.  I am so looking forward to beginning mine, (student finance England permitting)

Tom returns said...
Hi there Moostrasse, thanks for your helpful comments.

Timescale is pretty important for me, I actually want to be clear of probation, because it currently generates 4 hours work a week.
I will certainly go to the OU website and register, but not sure about funding.
I may ask my partner for a loan rather than reply on external funding.
I'm pretty sure I can dedicate 8-10 hours a week, am looking forward to it.

Cheers - Tom

james gtr manchester
james gtr manchester
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Just started down this route, i've all but given up employment wise. Here is the process

1 - Look for course
2 - Apply for loan (payable only when you're earning more than 21k). As mine is a postgraduate course i'm elidgable for 10k loan
3 - Do course

If you're on a college (i'm subject to a SHPO and no contact under 16s - online download offence). Then you need to speak to safeguarding, but my police officer says its something they deal with all the time.

I've chosen the distance learning route, as i'm uncomfortable going down to a college and speaking to someone about my offence. Its something i'm trying to avoid.....

GO