theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

car insurance

car insurance

Author
Mintaka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Normally, the five year disclosure question applies to accidents or claims history and not convictions.

If asked, all unspent convictions have to be disclosed regardless of the age of the offence whilst information about spent convictions should not be volunteered even if asked for.

Who said life was going to be easy?

Well, who said life was going to be easy?

luckyjohn99
luckyjohn99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)Supreme Being (436 reputation)

Hi everyone ..I have a conviction that ends in April the 6th and my insurance end on march the 3rd with all these changes that's going on now have I still go to declare my conviction.. Thanks John
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

You only need to declare if asked. You could speak to your current insurer about extending your policy for a month?
Philipweson
Philipweson
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)Supreme Being (448 reputation)

I know this is a late response to this question but since the change in the Rehabilitation of offenders act in march 2014.
I am hoping to reignite this debate in the hope that someone can help me with pointing me in the right area of the act and why are we required by the insurance companies to give 5 years.

This is not my area of expertise but what I do know is the reason why you had to disclose 5 years history of points on your licence was because it was an offence that was punishable by a fine, which I understand it was 5 years in the 1974 act.

Since the rehabilitation of offenders act was reformed in March 2014, they can no longer use this argument because an offence punishable by a fine is now 1 year, so if we go by what they use to say we should only disclose 1 year of points history if we go by the previous rule.

I wanted peoples Knowledge and thoughts on this.
Bachman
Bachman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)

Most insurers will ask about convictions, also check policy assumptions as most will include unspent convictions. Personally I use Admiral, they don't ask and aren't bothered about non-motoring convictions.
GO