theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Discrimination from Insurance Companies

Discrimination from Insurance Companies

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All

Just to throw another option into the pot - Elephant are another that are only interested in motoring offences rather than criminal convictions.

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350 (Press 1)
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Find online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)

Hi Dean,

I am not sure if it was you on another thread that was unaware of the developments regarding disclosing spent / unspent convictions on motoring convictions.

Since last year, it was legislated that the onus was now on the insurer to establish all materials facts relevant to insurance being granted / sold. Further to this, unless an insurer specifically asks you the question about non-motoring convictions - you are not legally obliged to declare.

There is a slight grey area for some people whereby they recommend you get written confirmation that your non-motoring conviction is not considered relevant, but the advise on that seems to be diminishing slightly. For me it is quite clear since the changes that it isn't required.

Make sure you read all the particulars of the insurance schedule / T&C's.

It also appears that some insurers are asking about non-motoring convictions within the last 5 years and no distinguishing between spent / unspent.

The other thing to consider is that comparison websites will always ask you regarding convictions as they need to have a blanket approach to cover every policy they compare.

I see where you are coming from regarding the punitive cost inflation with regards to convictions and insurance, however, the risk is modelled on a variety of factors. I also believe I have a punitively high insurance cost simply because of my age / gender. The insurance market has never really been seen as a beacon of fairness at the best of times....
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)

Personal opinion from this side of the fence is that it isn't fair unless the crime is that of dishonesty, fraud etc.

I've been out of prison a year now and found that Admiral weren't interested in non-motoring convictions and more recently (via suggestion on here) that LV aren't interested either. I did consider the broker route but found them to be a bit too pushy and ignorant of the suppliers that don't consider non-motoring convictions as relevant.

Not sure if that is of any benefit.

Another thing to add, I'm 27 and my usual quote is anywhere from £650 - £900 anyway and haven't seen any difference pre / post conviction in this change as the conviction isn't being considered.
Dean
Dean
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)

Hi Caterpiller,

Thanks for your response and it seems you have been quite lucky or more so, me being unlucky. When you say that Admiral (and now LV) have not been concerned about non-motoring convictions have you been asked to declare them or have you been able to follow the ABI guidelines and not have to declare them?

I am very interested in this point as it seems that most Insurance companies offer low premiums when not declared but inflate the policy when they have been declared, with most mainstream insurance companies refusing to insure me at all, although my crime is not a high risk conviction. as in the above declaration with AXA, if i dont declare it it says £371, if i declare it it says they can not quote but if use a broker, they have inflated it to nearly £700, leaving me to think they are taking advantage.

in my opinion, we should not have to pay anything more for non high risk convictions...

Thanks again,
Dean
Dean
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)Supreme Being (918 reputation)

Hi Caterpillar,

I hear you regarding the Insurance Market never being too fair at the best of times. it is the second largest scam next to tax if you ask me but that's another debate.

Insurance at the best of times is inflated, so to have an unspent conviction and know it will never become spent is quite a depressing thought, especially with the hiked prices it brings.

so all of the above is a real breath of fresh air. I have been doing some shopping around and although it has reduced my policy cost somewhat, i am still unable to get the best prices on the market but i feel i am happy to take what I can and hope the rules will reflect across more insurance companies in the future. I have yet to try Elephant and LV. My policy is not due for renewal until April but i tend to start this early, as it is normally quite a tiresome exercise with an unspent conviction, also, if it is reduced enough, i will jump all over it as an early commit and cancel my current policy.

i will let Unlock know how i get on and post any possible new insurance companies not already covered in the list of insurance companies. I have already suggested one to them Diamond, more for girls but i have recently helped my fiancée get insurance as a new driver and adding me as a responsible driver drove the price down over £1,000, so to beable to use Diamond following all the ABI guidlines i have secured a great policy for my misus and with me as a named driver.

Cheers for your input...
Dean
Dean
Supreme Being

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum but not to UNLOCK. I have been aware of the great work they do since 2005 (whilst in prison). I have a conviction which will never become spent so have used the UNLOCK website to gain access to valuable information since my release in 2007, mainly around Consumer Insurance. I was sentenced in 1999 and spent 8 years behind a door, long enough to dwell on doing wrong and enough time to rehabilitate myself (in the eyes of the law and Society as a whole) I was sentenced for "Being Knowingly Concerned in the Importation of a Class A Drug", a crime which carries a significant sentence, consisting of 2 counts resulting in a combined sentence total of 24 years (although to run concurrent, resulting in a 16 years sentence).

OK, so the reason I have explained my conviction is for 2 reasons: firstly) to see if anyone reading this has ever heard of that charge and secondly) to demonstrate that by asking the first part of this question strengthens my case (and that is) this is not a well-known charge and most Insurance companies (or should say brokers) do not even know what it is. So when declaring my conviction, I have to go into a lot of detail for them to understand what the conviction is. If this is such an unknown conviction and as far as Insurance Brokers keep telling me, this conviction will have NO direct impact on my insurance, as it’s not for Fraud, Theft or any of the more dishonest convictions (not my words) which do have a significant impact on the cost of a policy.

So the reason why I have decided to post after such a long time of knowing who UNLOCK is and not actually posting before is because I am getting extremely tired of being lied to by Insurance companies and brokers and mostly because I am really disheartened with being discriminated against because of a crime committed more than 14 years ago, when I have served a sentenced which was imposed to rehabilitate me (which I believe I am, as I now have a full time job, own my own home and live a life as a law abiding citizen) and because although UNLOCK offer a great service, advising ex-prisoners and people with convictions, they are just one voice and I want to make an individual stand against discrimination towards people with Unspent Convictions.

I am taking a complaint to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), Financial Ombudsman and also Parliament (if possible). I have read a number of documents, including one from the ABI (Association of British Insurers) that have left me feeling extremely perplexed because it seems certain guidelines are laid down but not adhered to by most Insurance Companies, when giving convicted people a fair shot at financial services.

My aim is to get as much support, advice and most of all experience from similar minded people using this website. So I would be very interested in hearing what experience you have had when trying to get insurance. I am going to outline my own experience below when getting quotes if you are running against similar situation, please do let me know and also let me know what you have done to combat your unfair treatment but also, if possible, let me know what I am missing or where I am going wrong.

I have been told from all Brokers, (Adrian Flux, SIS, Bewise to name a few) which I have used, that my particular conviction will hot have a direct impact on my insurance for the reasons outlined above, it is not seen as a conviction to drive up my risk. I have been told that my policy will not be inflated under the particular schemes they are using and my insurance should cost the same, as if I had no conviction to declare. However, this is not the case my policies are around 100% more than if I were not to have a conviction. To put this into some perspective, I was recently quoted through SIS, using AXA as the underwriter £691.72 (declaring my conviction) but only quoted direct from the AXA 371.98 (not declaring my conviction), this is 85% more than anyone else would expect to pay in the same situation as me but without a conviction. I was told by SIS that this only included a £25 administration fee and the scheme they were using offered by AXA was 0% loaded, meaning I should get the same as anyone else. When i explained to them how much more it was, they never had an answer and said it was outrageous. Last year, for the same circumstances my cheapest quote was £845. Over 200% what it would cost someone without a conviction. AXA, will not deal direct with people with Unspent Convictions but will underwrite insurance through Brokers (am i missing something here?).

So my questions are,
Although we are told by the guidelines from ABI, insurance companies must offer fair quotes, are we really being treated fairly?
Are these schemes, inflated schemes which we cannot do anything about and have to deal with the raw end of the stick for the rest of our lives?
Are there any Insurance companies who will offer a fair comparison if they see that your conviction is not high risk?
Do we have any voice; are there any governing bodies which we can take this to other than FCA or Financial Ombudsman?
As anyone, attempted to take their situation any further who can give me some support and guidance?

Thanks for your time in reading my long post.
GO