theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Housing help for my partner.

Housing help for my partner.

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
chillimog,

Can I ask what the nature of his conviction is? When you say the local council cannot help him, what do you mean? Have they refused to place him on the Housing list, if this is provided by them or the Housing Association? Or have they refused to regard him as homeless?

Best wishes,

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

chillimog,

Does he have this in writing? I personally don't believe they are able to do this. I was of the opinion that in instances such as this (council housing, i.e. large block residential insurance policies) there shouldn't be problems re: insurance. This is the first time I have come across this.

Feel free to drop me an email (chris.stacey@unlock.org.uk) or give me a call on 01634 247350. I'd be keen to take this forward.

Best wishes,

Chris

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Erin
Erin
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)Supreme Being (458 reputation)

kerry

It depends upon where you live. In the Midlands St Giles Trust assist prisoners on release. I would check with agents to see if having a conviction would matter (you can ask anonymously).

I am sure someone else on here can help you more. Good luck.

E
chillimog
chillimog
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

First of all, I'd like to say a big hello to everyone, as I'm new to the forum.

Ok, my partner was released from prison in december, after serving 6 months on remand for arson reckless. He is on license until June of this year.

On his release, he was homeless. At the moment, he is living with his parents, but it's very temporary. He has approached his local council for help with housing, but has been advised that due to the nature of his conviction, they cannot help him.

He has also been advised that letting agents and private landlords won't be able to help him either. So, the question is, what is he supposed to do when it comes to finding a place to live? Nobody seems to want to help him, or offer any sensible suggestions, just tell him what isn't available.

Has anybody been in a similar position and how did they overcome this?

I should also point out that he does have mental health problems and is receiving treatment.

Many thanks for any suggestions offered.

kerryxxx
chillimog
chillimog
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

His conviction is for arson reckless. He did have a clean record before however. #

The council have refused to put him on the housing list because they say their insurance won't cover him.

Thanks

Kerryxx
chillimog
chillimog
Supreme Being

Chris

I have passed your details on to my partner. I hope this is ok. I think he will be very interested in having a chat with you.

regards

Kerryxx

GO