theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Court ruling January 2016 on crb filtering system not going far enough

Court ruling January 2016 on crb filtering system not going far enough...

Author
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Dalesguy15, hopefully the government will see that the filtering system needs a complete overall and look at it in a sensible matter. If someone's last conviction was 10/20 years ago surely they have proved that they have rehabilitated and no longer have to disclose their convictions.

However governments don't like to be seen to be soft on Criminals, never does well for your poll rating. So we will wait and see what they say. I am trying to be positive, but I would imagine they come up with minor tweaks and hope that satisfies the court.

We will wait and see!
Dalesguy15
Dalesguy15
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello doug wish I could feel hopeful about a fair change in dealing with minor ex offences misdemeanours as there known in usa
Many other European countries actually delete minor offences after say 10 or 15 years including countries like usa and new Zealand
Although Canada has a policy of keeping them even Canada system is fairer as they effectively only keep them for police there is no checking and filtering
Here we have a really medieval outlook we are in top ten richest countries and we behave the way we do to ex minor offenders
What is this nonsense about keeping minor offences till 100 or for life?
And this tired argument that it's in interests of protection of children and vulnerable
All because that freak Huntley murdered two innocent children we all are now paying for it
What has someone who did say few minor theft and criminal damage offences 25 to 30 years ago got any longer anything to do with any employment that person wants to go for?
Why can't we have like in many usa states a judge or magistrate hear people's cases for petition for either filtering them
Or ideally and fairly dissolving them for good
I am very concerned how things are going to go from 2016 to 2017 as all indications are that majority plan to vote to leave EU this year
That means goodbye to are only hope and friend Article 8 Human rights act
Then and soon we will really be stuffed when Teresa not so attractive may brings in a British bill of rights meaning you have no rights and the filtering system as it stands gets stopped
Basically while they can get away with keeping minor offences for life we are stuffed as they can change the rules anytime
And bring them all back
It only also takes for example someone to do something hideous who say had offences filtered and then they can also use that as there argument to say we told you that this filtering was rushed and not right
Then they will get all British public to back them in revealing all offences again for life
Also where if there is 10 million affected with minor or more serious offences where are they all?
Where is the support and movement website campaigns etc?
Nothing and there is the biggest problem
Unless at least one million out of that ten set up campaign for this to end pressure group then no hope or chance of anything much changing
Dalesguy15
Dalesguy15
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Regarding the latest news from the high Court a week ago ruling that in the cases presented of people with more than
One criminal minor offence that it was not correct that people with more than one offence should have to disclose when classed as minor offences
Im interested to know what will probably happen in terms of amendments here?
I remember when I got all my hopes up the first time around 18 months earlier to 2 years back when the government lost appeal and were forced to bring a filtering system into process which they did
But being tories they put a clever twist and spin on it which was the most basic filtering system that did not include hardly anyone in it
I remember being totally gutted and stunned when they said one minor offence only I repeat one only and that was even if you had only been before the court just once and had multiple order offences but one conviction
I was delighted therefore to hear this latest news breakthrough from the court a week ago I got my hopes up for a few hours but this time the high quickly disappeared when I remembered what happened last time around
So not wanting to rain on the celebrations I have decided to expect the worse again but hope for the best main reasons for my concerns are following
Firstly its the same government in power again who opposed the filtering system from the very beginning
Its same home secretary gosh she is very unattractive in looks as well as personality in my opinion
Thirdly look at details of latest case victory the two cases that have won refer to two offences only!
I repeat the word two not three or four or five or six or seven minor offences
I noticed that the charities and everyone who supported this success at the court were alll mentioning this is a great victory for people with not just one offence but now two
Its in the details of what's been wrote that the alarm bells are ringing for me
As if you remember last time around the cases brought was people with just one criminal offence I think
Im basically assuming that the catch this time around is that the government will this time around do the bear minimum again and give in to saying okay anyone with two minor offences or anyone with one appearance at court with a multiple order offence of two charges will all be now included
If im right that would mean once again many would lose out by a whisker like many with say three or four minor convictions or those with five to say up to ten minor offences
And did not get a prison sentence
I also accept that most likely anyone with a minor offence who got a small prison sentence anything from one month to 6 months or a year to two will also be ruled out again
And finally the extra catches both this latest ruling and the last one two years ago were both successful based on Article 8 of the human rights act
Right to private life
Wl guess what there is going to be a vote most likely this year or by 2017 to decide if the British public wish to stay in the EU
You have guessed the cynics among us that majority of British public don't care about human rights act and the majority want to leave EU
If this nightmare comes true then I know that home secretary has already said she will abolish human rights act and it won't apply to UK law and courts any longer
And that the tories plan w British bill of your rights instead which of course will be worthless and not worth the paper its written on
And so basically all that tories and terasa may need to do now is buy time and they can do this by appealing this latest ruling from the court
And im certain they probably will
And then once we are voted by the wonderful British public to leave EU this or next year
You have guessed it tories will go straight back to court and get the entire filtering system suspended based on fact it
Was iimplemented by Article 8
And then after they leave it suspended for next 5 years while they sit on there hands
It will then be agreed to either only filter just cautions or nothing at all again
And we will be back to square one once again
But not to worry tge tories will bring out the same old tedious tiring argument that created crb system in the first place
Its in the interests of vulnerable people being protected
Meaning if you stole a loaf of bread when homeless 25 years ago that theft conviction should show for every single job till you die or reach 100
As your regarded still of course a threat to elderly or children or disabled
Let's hope my cynical views on this will be wrong but care to take a bet anyone?
GO