dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution Visit the main UNLOCK website here dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution dotNetBB Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

Unlock Forums > Forum 1 > Disclosure & employment > Basic CRB check please help  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

TRefc
Forum Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 13

Posted 27/06/2012 13:51 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, I'm new on here and would really appreciate some device.

I have worked for my current employer for 2 years however now they are asking people to have a CrB check. I am a secretary on a solicitors and on the letter they have worded it "satisfactory basic CRB check".

Am I right in thinking that this will only show unspent convictions? Or will they apply for the standard one?

The reason I ask is that when I was 17 I was in an abusive relationship with an older man, he persuaded me to be stupid and dishonest. I have once offence for deception (changing my date of birth on applications to get store card) and recieve d a referral order. Biggest mistake of my life and feel so stupid and ashamed.

Will I be ok as this conviction has well be spent over 10 years ago? Would I fall into the basic check category

TRefc
Forum Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 14:10 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope so. I've made a stuPid mistake when I was 17 and since then I've always worked, got a degree (can't do much with it because of this) and also worked in the civil service. Be such a shame if I got dismissed over this.

Because it says basic in the letter? They couldn't just apply for a standard or enhanced one instead could they? Am I right in assuming there is a list of jobs that require a standard or enhanced but if your job does not fall into them job titles the most you can have is basic?

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 14:46 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you all, they said that a company does them
As they do less than 100 a year so cannot apply direct to CRB.

I'm absolutely devastated. Really wanted to make a go of my life and hate myself so much for making that mistake. It's going to cost me the job I love.

the doctor
Forum Member

Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 330

Posted 27/06/2012 15:00 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I think you need to have a rational look of the wording - a satisfactory basic (standard) CRB check.

Just because you have a record, which let's be fair occured when you were a child, doesn't mean it's the end. It would be different if you had a string of offences, but you don't; you have a single blot that happened when you were a child. You have not reoffended, you have bettered yourself through education and employment, and have worked with no concerns with this company for 2 years. If it was such an issue, a CRB would have been applied for before you started the post.

I do feel that it being a solicitors office may provide a more rational thought process from the managers than other places. You have made one mistake - is your CRB perfect? No. Satisfactory? Yes, I believe so.

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 15:17 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know and everything you say makes sense and I'd be saying the same. But I'm so ashamed. I work in a small department of a large solicitors firm with a HR department. Don't know whether to disclose now or run the risk that it is a basic one. Either way I'm more than likely going to have to leave. Completely irrational I know!

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 15:34 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The haven't asked for my written consent try have just told me I'll be havng a basic crb check and they will submit it online

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 16:11 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You all have been so kind replying.

I have not been asked to fill any form in or sign anything, all they need is a utility bill and address details, they already have a copy of passport on file.

Could this possibly mean it would be a basic one?

topperharley
Forum Member

Date Joined Feb 2012
Total Posts : 35

Posted 27/06/2012 16:44 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is it not entirely possible that they are planning on running a basic CRB check through disclosure scotland? Plenty of agencies will do this for them with the correct id.

www.cbscreening.co.uk/basic-disclosure

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 17:27 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mine was basically applying for a credit card in my name using a date of birth to make me 18 not 17. I'm a very silly girl I'm almost 29 now and I haven't even had a point on my licence since.

I'm going to send off my utility bill and hope for the best but I'm also going to look at applying for other jobs should the worst happen.

the doctor
Forum Member

Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 330

Posted 27/06/2012 17:54 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

However, peter, being a firm of solicitors, they will also know employment law.

TRefc, during application and interview, were you ever asked about whether you have any convictions? Have you ever been asked over the past 2 years? If not, then I don't believe they would be able to make you leave. The only factor if it's your own shame. And, like I said, be rational. Nearly 12 years ago, when you were a child, your domineering boyfriend co-erced you to change one number on a credit application. It's hardly Ian Huntley is it?

You didn't say what your referral order involved. How did they deal with you?

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 18:06 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had to do work with the youth offending team and a community based punishment.

They asked on my application form if I had any unspent convictions and I correctly replied no. I've got everything crossed that it's just a basic one and no one has to know. Quick question though is say it's standard they apply for and this comes back on it then will it just be seen by hr or will my acting partner see it? Wouldn't like gossip to get round. I know I'm well thought of there but I think Peter is right, they don't want people with convictions.

I honestly feel that you should be able to apply to have non custodial convictions that happened as a youth quashed after 10 years if you haven't re offended.

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 18:14 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you so much. When I started this job it was fixed term, I've now been took on permanently and my boss is really happy with me and my work. Now I'm classed as a new member of staff and therefore required to do this check. Madness. The fact I've been kept on and made permanent surely shows what person I am, not a blip on my life. All people make mistakes.

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 18:18 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also just checked home office website, legal secretary is not on the exception list (unless you work in a court) so dies that me. They can't apply for a standard?

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 19:22 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. Going to hope for the best and hope that because they said basic they mean basic.

How long approx do they take to come back and do they go back to the employer or straight back to me. Still think its strange that I've given no verbal/written confirmation to do this and this is what is giving me hope.

The worst this can do is lead to dismissal, and embarrass me. They can't shoot me. Although trust me at times I feel like doing exactly that for being stupid. I've been a great employee. I hope this bodes well

Last question, Peter I'm sorry but will HR confront me about this conviction even if it's spent? I'm guessing they will and at least I can putt point over an ultimately it's down to their policies and ethics whether they still want to employ me.

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 22:33 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I 100% have not filled any form in. Plus hr said that if I don't have a utility bill (I live at home) she will just send off a payslip of mine. But defibateky no form has been sent or any request for my consent.

I did ask informally what the CRV would consist of and she said "oh it's just a basic check" but I don't know whether she means basic check, or just a basic standard check. So confused.

All I know is I have to face this head on.

TRefc
Forum Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 27/06/2012 23:20 PM (GMT +2)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to all who have replied.

Nothing I can do now but go along and see what happens. Worst case scenario is I lose the job I love.

I'm going I ask if it's basic enhanced or standard tomorrow. If they say standard then I'm going to be open and honest. If its basic then I will take you all out for a drink.

Don't think I've cried so much in my life :(

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is 22 August 2014 10:00 (GMT +2)
There are a total of 20,492 posts in 2,092 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 4 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 2061 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, harriet_P.
5 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details