theForum

Travel chances?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11101.aspx

By Dave Lister - 13 Feb 16 3:04 PM

Hi

I am nearly 6 months into my 3 year community order, what are the chances of my PO allowing me to travel abroad for holidays whilst on the supervisory period?

Thanks for your time
By Hola - 20 Jan 16 6:05 PM

Hi there
Obv I don't know what your crime was, but if you've no travel restrictions related to your CO then I don't think they can stop you - perhaps if they currently have you going in every week they could stifle it but maybe suggest phoning in ?

I'm no legal expert but I was on CO for 3 years and never had an issue travelling - went as far as Guatemala with no pushback. If I were you I'd get a script ready for your next session and ask him / her
- need a break
- time with your partner
- can come in just before anf just after etc etc

Hope that helps

Many thanks for the reply. I think I'm getting a bit confused with the terminology, I thought that as I had a contract with my PO that meant I was "on license"? But I'm sure I've since read somewhere that if you're "on license" it means that you've served a prison sentence and have been released? Is that correct?

/www.nacro.org.uk/resettlement-advice-service/support-for-individuals/travelling-abroad-and-immigration-to-the-uk/travelling-abroad-and-within-the-uk-while-on-licence/

hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-community-order/

Confused.com lol

A holiday would certainly help with my rehabilitation, a bit of soul medicine and sunshine and a chance to reflect and plan for the future. Thanks so much for your help again Hola.
By Hola - 20 Jan 16 6:05 PM

on licence is when you have been in prison and released to be supervised
you only got a community order which is different I think - Debbie please step in if I'm wrong ! but I think
I think you should be fine to travel ... ... ...
But wait for an expert to reply
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi Dave

Hola is absolutely right, people who've been to prison are often released half way through their sentence on 'Licence' and then serve the remainder of their sentence in the community.

There's nothing excluding you from travelling whilst on a Community Order unless, your Order would be affected in some way - for example if you would miss your unpaid work requirement or supervision etc. If this would be the case, then you'll need to seek permission from your Probation Officer.

If there are any specific restrictions on your Community Order from travelling abroad then again, seek permission from your Probation Officer.

If none of this applies - have a fab holiday.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Thanks everyone
By dicky6 - 15 Nov 12 9:55 PM

I know most questions have been answered but just thought i would tell you my experiences. I was given a 3 year community order as well as 5 years on 'the register' as well as 10 year order (im trying to get this removed in august as 5 years is up and i think 10 years too long )

anyway during this time I have never had any problem travelling as long as I told the police dates and where.Passport control can be a pain but its nothing really and in spain last year the passport bloke just seemed confused!

So unless there are any restrictions on you there really shouldnt be a problem. I have always said that as long as you play ball with the PPU officers they will let you lead as normal a life as possible.
By expatofff - 3 May 15 6:21 AM

dicky6 said...
I know most questions have been answered but just thought i would tell you my experiences. I was given a 3 year community order as well as 5 years on 'the register' as well as 10 year order (im trying to get this removed in august as 5 years is up and i think 10 years too long )

anyway during this time I have never had any problem travelling as long as I told the police dates and where.Passport control can be a pain but its nothing really and in spain last year the passport bloke just seemed confused!

So unless there are any restrictions on you there really shouldnt be a problem. I have always said that as long as you play ball with the PPU officers they will let you lead as normal a life as possible.

Have to disagree with this in part, they act like they're being nice (the ppu) but they're not.

With regards to travelling as already said you're fine as long as you let the people that need to know, know.
By dicky6 - 15 Nov 12 9:55 PM

well I can only talk from experience. I realise they have a job to do. I guess there are good and there are bad.