theForum

Visiting Canada

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11116.aspx

By oscar - 11 Mar 15 2:29 PM

Hi, I am after some help as to what I can do and what other people have experienced.

I was given a 12 month conditional discharge around 3 years ago for the offence section 4 words/behaviour - fear unlawful violence. Now me and my girlfriend would like to visit family for a week in Canada just after Christmas and would like some help whether I would be inadmissible or not. The research I have done suggests that because my conviction is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 It would not make me inadmissible to Canada. Does anybody know if this is the case? Any help would be great.
By Yankee - 1 May 15 4:00 PM

You are deemed rehabilitated in line with the UK ROA. The only exception is if the maximum sentence for your offence was 10 years custody or more (that's not the case with section 4 POA).

There's a full explanation in the knowledgebase

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-canada/

However, be aware that from 22nd March 2016 the Canadians are introducing their own ESTA which you have to apply and pay for online before you travel. The good news is that if there is any problem, it should be flagged up at that point (Canada signed up to the Five Country conference which involves sharing immigration information).

Thank-you for the reply Yankee. I presume then it would be wise to wait until then to book flights? Is their any information yet on how this new ESTA will work?
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi Yankee

Thanks for the heads up about the ESTA. I'll see what information is around as it may mean amending what we've got on our Information Hub.

Deb

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Deb -

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

Do not wait until the last minute – apply now for an eTA.
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Thanks Yankee - Great help

Deb

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

By BenS - 5 Aug 15 6:55 PM

Thanks all for the useful help and updates.

Does Canada have access to the PNC? I know it is categorically stated that the US doesn't, but I was wondering, with Commonwealth links and all, whether it was different for Canada? I have visited Canada before but before my conviction, so I'm not sure what would happen now.

I am currently filling out the ETA form and it asks obviously about criminal convictions. I take it I still have to put my conviction down even though it is considered spent. How much information should I put in regarding the conviction in the box? Should I go as far as stating the whole circumstances of what happened?

Thanks for your help.

I'd keep the responses short and factual - the offence and sentence if asked. They can always come back and ask for more information if necessary.

I would not try to provide colour or an explanation - as you said your offence is spent and you should be deemed rehabilitated under the Canadian regulations.

Thank-you Yankee. That is what I have done. I am now waiting for a reply. I will post back on here when I have one for people who are interested.
By dannys - 3 May 16 10:55 AM

Any update from oscar regarding his application ?