theForum

Visa to work abroad - Criminal Background - Police Clearance Cert

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11127.aspx

By Scoty - 24 Apr 16 9:31 AM

Hello

I have been offered a job in New Zealand but need a 'police clearance certificate'. (DBS?) I don't want to own up to Employer unless I will need to..

So, back in 1990 sometime i pleaded guilty and was convicted. I took a friend's driving licence, used it to hire a car, and was caught driving. I was charged with and convicted of (fines only)

= Taking of the licence (Theft?)
= Use of to hire the car (Fraud?)
= Driving without insurance (IN10) and got 7 points (Is this a criminal offence?)

Fast forward approx 26 years and I need a police cert for emigrating work visa. It asks for all my details and what conviction details i have. I genuinely can't remember exact date, offence names or fines given. Am I OK to leave this blank and they will give me everything on file or am I again breaking the law if i do?

Note: The offence was committed in Scotland, but for some reason went to a court in England for prosecution, so I can't even hazard a guess what area it was prosecuted. Is there not some rule where these "drop off" (Filtered??) in England beyond a certain date? Would this apply?

Thanks very much.
By BenS - 5 Aug 15 6:55 PM

Hello,

I can't answer regarding police certificates as I have no experience with this, but as for filtering, it only applies if you have one single conviction.

If you have more than one separate conviction, then I'm afraid none of them will be filtered - even if all of them would filterable if they were sole convictions.

Hopefully with the huge amount of time that has passed and the fact that they are not massively serious convictions, it might be OK for your visa, who knows, though of course that's up to the Kiwis. Oddly enough, did you know New Zealand is only country on earth where car insurance is not mandatory. So driving without insurance is not a criminal offence in NZ!

Good luck with the visa and the job.
By Yankee - 1 May 15 4:00 PM

Scoty,

The emigration certification is issued by ACRO and is not the same as a DBS certificate. See this link https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

If you've got more than one conviction, nothing will be filtered out unfortunately.

My advice would be to apply to ACRO and get the police certificate - then you know exactly what is on it. Make sure your visa application matches and be confident that everything will be OK given the length of time since the convictions and the fact that they were not serious.