theForum

Travel to Russia

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11244.aspx

By BenS - 1 Aug 19 8:00 AM

Trev@ok - 31 Jul 19 9:12 PM

Thank you Ben. So the Question asked about criminal convictions would be come up on the visa form then , correct ?

I've never been to Russia, so I don't know what questions are on the form. But in most of these forms there seems to a question about arrests/convictions. Non-EU and non-Schengen countries won't see anything when they scan your passport, unless your PPO has issued an Interpol Green Notice or you're on some international terror watchlist or something..
By Trev@ok - 1 Aug 19 8:48 PM

Ok, so basically when filling in the visa forms, disclosing my past convictions would give the Russian Authorities to Deny me access.
And also hoping that my PPO will not issue the green notice. Doesn’t sound promising either way. Really frustrating as my offence was over 12 years ago but Oh well. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. 👍
By Monkos - 5 Aug 19 4:57 PM

Trev@ok - 1 Aug 19 8:48 PM
Ok, so basically when filling in the visa forms, disclosing my past convictions would give the Russian Authorities to Deny me access.And also hoping that my PPO will not issue the green notice. Doesn’t sound promising either way. Really frustrating as my offence was over 12 years ago but Oh well. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. 👍

Ignore the advice much higher in this thread from Mirrorman, he has no idea what he's talking about. For a green notice to be issued, you PPO has to have assessed the risk of committing an offence abroad as likely, and he needs to both tell you this fact before you go, and tell the NCA to issue the notice. If he tells you he is going to do it, don't travel yet, get a lawyer to pressure him to explain his reasoning. Unless your original offence relates to going abroad to fiddle with kids then they are not going to issue such a notice at all.
By AB2014 - 6 Aug 19 8:50 AM

Monkos - 5 Aug 19 4:57 PM
Ok, so basically when filling in the visa forms, disclosing my past convictions would give the Russian Authorities to Deny me access.And also hoping that my PPO will not issue the green notice. Doesn’t sound promising either way. Really frustrating as my offence was over 12 years ago but Oh well. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. 👍

Ignore the advice much higher in this thread from Mirrorman, he has no idea what he's talking about. For a green notice to be issued, you PPO has to have assessed the risk of committing an offence abroad as likely, and he needs to both tell you this fact before you go, and tell the NCA to issue the notice. If he tells you he is going to do it, don't travel yet, get a lawyer to pressure him to explain his reasoning. Unless your original offence relates to going abroad to fiddle with kids then they are not going to issue such a notice at all.

That explains the theory very well. In practice, it's very different. If you're prepared to engage a solicitor to scrutinise everything PPU does in your case, then good luck if you have the money. Otherwise, they will say that they don't have to tell you whether they're issuing a green notice, as they probably aren't the ones doing it, and they'll hide behind the standard get out of "prevention and detection of crime". Some forces are better/more pragmatic than others. Yes, a Green Notice, according to Interpol, is issued to warn a country that someone is travelling there with the intention of offending. Perhaps someone should make sure that every police force in the country, and the Home Office, is aware of that and will actually take that into account.
By Deb S - 6 Aug 19 8:53 AM

Hi Trev@ok

We're just in the process of putting together some information on travelling to Russia - I'll let forum members know when it goes live. However, to clarify, the question on the visa form asks:

“Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offence?”  - [If ‘Yes’ please describe all the facts about the arrest/conviction]

Answering ‘Yes’ wouldn’t automatically mean that your visa would be refused but it’s likely that you’d have to attend an interview at the consulate. Like the US Embassy, the Russian Consulate give little guidance as to who will be given a visa and who won’t, they deal with each application on a case by case basis (hopefully we'll find more information during the course of our research).

Good luck.

Debs
By Monkos - 6 Aug 19 1:54 PM

AB2014 - 6 Aug 19 8:50 AM

That explains the theory very well. In practice, it's very different. If you're prepared to engage a solicitor to scrutinise everything PPU does in your case, then good luck if you have the money. Otherwise, they will say that they don't have to tell you whether they're issuing a green notice, as they probably aren't the ones doing it, and they'll hide behind the standard get out of "prevention and detection of crime". Some forces are better/more pragmatic than others. Yes, a Green Notice, according to Interpol, is issued to warn a country that someone is travelling there with the intention of offending. Perhaps someone should make sure that every police force in the country, and the Home Office, is aware of that and will actually take that into account.

Don't give advice here you're clearly not qualified to give. Almost all of the posts you make here are highly misleading.
By AB2014 - 6 Aug 19 2:43 PM

Monkos - 6 Aug 19 1:54 PM

Don't give advice here you're clearly not qualified to give. Almost all of the posts you make here are highly misleading.

Are you qualified to say I'm not qualified? This forum is for members to share their experiences, not to give legal advice. As I said, no matter what might be required of the police, it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what they actually do. They may be relying on people not challenging them. You may think my posts are highly misleading, but that may be just because you disagree with me. It doesn't mean either of us is right.
By Yankee - 9 Aug 19 12:27 PM

I'd disagree with that statement.

Posts on the forum generally contain a mix of facts, anecdotal evidence, perceptions ... .. and a lot of misinformation. There is also the big issue that all the caveats and assumptions are not listed or the specific scenarios explained. For example, travel advice is inherently different depending upon the nature of your offence, where you are travelling to, any individual circumstances etc.

The better posters provide links to evidence or support their comments in other ways.

While I cannot vouch for the overall accuracy of AB2014's posts, I have generally found when he/she comments on things where I have specific facts myself, he/she has been very consistent.

By Monkos - 10 Aug 19 9:45 PM

AB2014 - 6 Aug 19 2:43 PM

Are you qualified to say I'm not qualified? This forum is for members to share their experiences, not to give legal advice. As I said, no matter what might be required of the police, it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what they actually do. They may be relying on people not challenging them. You may think my posts are highly misleading, but that may be just because you disagree with me. It doesn't mean either of us is right.

I've read many of your posts and I'm horrified at the bad advice you give. Get yourself a lawyer and get yourself educated please.
By AB2014 - 13 Aug 19 9:51 AM

Monkos - 10 Aug 19 9:45 PM
AB2014 - 6 Aug 19 2:43 PM

I've read many of your posts and I'm horrified at the bad advice you give. Get yourself a lawyer and get yourself educated please.

Educated? Why would I need a lawyer to educate me? As I don't give legal advice, why would I need a lawyer? If there's anything that particularly horrifies you, why not say so here so we can all discuss it?
By BT - 3 Sep 12 10:08 PM

Very much a long shot here but has anyone travelled or tried to travel to Russia whilst under the SOR? I'm not convinced Russia is the place I want to go to regardless of whether or not I have a spent offence, but I'm mulling it over for a short holiday. I know you need a visa, but can't find anything online saying whether I would or wouldn't be admitted. Thank you