theForum

Dbs check for nursing

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic1159.aspx

By Bob1234 - 31 Jul 15 8:22 PM

Hi, I have recently completed the first year of a children's nursing degree. I Was at a festival last weekend and while drunk, I thought it would be a great idea to buy a gram of cannabis. I haven't smoked that crap for years, I didn't smoke itand it went into my bag at the end of the night and i forgot about it. I Was very very tired on the way home and will admit my driving wasn't the best and I got pulled and searched by police and they found the cannabis. I Was given a cannabis warning and sent on my way, the police officer was aware of my degree and told me a cannabis warning doesn't show up on a dbs. Upon further digging online I have found that it could be disclosed on an enhanced dbs in the other relevant information section. How likely is it that this would be disclosed? will I be able to get a job at the end of my course? I have done nothing but cry for days as I am scared I have ruined my life over a terrible mistake. If anybody knows anything or has experienced any thing similar, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not known to the police, this is my only offence if that has any bearing on it?
Cheers
Bob
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi Bob

In our experience Cannabis Warnings are rarely disclosed by the Police under the additional information sector of an enhanced disclosure.

Any DBS Certificate would be sent to you rather than a university/employer and, in the unlikely event that the Warning was disclosed, then we would suggest that you contact the police and ask if they could reconsider their decision to disclose. Have a look at our Information Hub for details of how you should go about this - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/local-police-information-2/

I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

By Bob1234 - 31 Jul 15 8:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Are you aware of any specific cases for nurses at all? I'm sure it will be fine, just want to get as much information as possible
Bob.