theForum

Thailand - Living & Working There With A Serious Criminal Record.

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic11654.aspx

By Anonymous - 12 Apr 13 3:50 PM

I was wondering if anybody had information or personal experience of living and working in Thailand with a serious criminal record ?.

I have always looked at Thailand as a country that was a bit like the French Foreign Legion, they take anybody...

But what's the real truth behind living and working in this country if you have a SERIOUS criminal past ?.

I am not talking a simple conviction, I am talking sentences that meant prison terms up-to and exceeding double digits.  

I am fast approaching the lower retirement age, and recently read an article on retirement visas. It seems that you can't get a retirement visa if you have a record ?

Post Edited (Q3) : 10/08/2013 21:22:44 (GMT+1)

By Foxtrot - 6 Mar 12 8:26 PM

List 1 - Thailand, Korea, France, Sweden, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Russia, Iceland, Singapore and so on, and so on.

List 2 - USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland.)

List 1 should be no problem to those with a UK record. List 2... not a chance. Do you notice the common denominator in list 2?

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

https://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

For all of you wishing to further investigate the issue of Visa's check out the above website address for the Thai consulate.

Post Edited (Q3) : 10/08/2013 21:23:30 (GMT+1)

Foxtrot said...

List 1 - Thailand, Korea, France, Sweden, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Russia, Iceland, Singapore and so on, and so on.

List 2 - USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland.)

List 1 should be no problem to those with a UK record. List 2... not a chance. Do you notice the common denominator in list 2?

I hear that Vietnam is an interesting place to visit FT ?

Post Edited (Q3) : 10/08/2013 21:02:55 (GMT+1)

Just found a company called "Siam Legal".
Highlights of Visa Issues. 

Post Edited (Q3) : 10/08/2013 21:24:52 (GMT+1)

Thanks yeah

Post Edited (Q3) : 10/08/2013 21:25:17 (GMT+1)

Q3 said...
List 2 - No Paul, I have no clue ?, is it something to do with maybe certain crimes ?.

Don't spoil the tread talking about those " Special Crimes", this is about Visa's and Thailand.

lol lol   I love the way he thinks my name's Paul  lol lol

Of course, if that were true, that would surely be a serious breach of the rules, and I would recommend a complete ban on Q3 and his many aliases and accounts. Would be a shame as his deranged ranting and fake personas actually make me smile.

To all those reading this, just to get us back on track, this is about Visa requirements and criminal record checking for living and retiring in Thailand.

That's THAILAND, not ANY other Country.

Post Edited (Q3) : 10/08/2013 21:26:06 (GMT+1)

You can edit all you like Q3, the fact remains is that you believed my name was 'Paul', so decided to plaster this name all over your posts, perhaps in an attempt to intimidate. A serious breach, no doubt. No-one on here has their name as their screen name (IanC's name is not really Ian Charley), so 'exposing' what you believe to be a member's real name is a truly nasty tactic, and I hope Unlock take the appropriate action. Fortunately I 'quoted' one of your posts showing this breach. Pity I didn't multi-quote.

Going back to my question, the common denominator of those countries is that are English speaking. This similarity also seems to lead to eternal beating around the head of someone with a record. Other countries, of which my list was a small, random selection, do not. So whether one wishes to emigrate to Thailand, India, South Africa, Argentina, Denmark or wherever, you will have a vastly better chance to progress and develop without irrational obstacles than moving to those in list 2.

turn It's Like shooting fish in a Barrel turn

Post Edited (Q3) : 11/08/2013 15:32:28 (GMT+1)

This is about Visa requirements and criminal record checking for living and retiring in Thailand.

Post Edited (Q3) : 11/08/2013 15:31:06 (GMT+1)

Q3 said...
 turn It's Like shooting fish in a Barrel turn

redface

I used to cry because I had no shoes, until I saw a man that had no feet !

This Chinese proverb, has nothing to do with living and working in the Far-East, but as this thread is veering off on other tangents, and we are now discussing Astroturf, things that are fake and social experiments, I might as well get kitted up for the outta space experience. 

Goodbye planet Earth jumpin

By Anonymous - 5 Sep 10 3:02 AM

“I was wondering if anybody had information or personal experience of living and working in Thailand with a serious criminal record ?” Why?

Isn’t this the same as another recent thread? Why are you asking about serious offences Q3? Yours is of a petty nature and yes IanC obviously wouldn’t be my real name. There will be no fishing for references as to who I am or shortcuts as to how I did it, believe me. I’ll give anybody the basics, but I won’t give information that you couldn’t find out for yourself.  

OK, specifically Thailand. DON’T believe that any agency or legal office can get you a visa; they can’t but will gladly put a nice copy one in your passport, (for a price), as you will discover on your way to jail as you try to leave the country, or try to renew it.

There are various types of visas, the most common are retirement or marriage. The retirement one you can get at 50 years old and can change your 12 month tourist ‘O’ into a retirement one (which you get in the UK), whilst in Thailand. You can only do this at the Immigration office – agencies will do this for you, but don’t believe you can bypass Immigration with adverts that companies can ‘fix’ things for you. This is why I often don’t use the internet for info, much of it is misleading at best. You have to have a retirement pension or show proof of income or savings on a yearly basis, currently I believe it’s 800k Baht (16,500 GBP).

No country wants ex-offenders, which is the bottom line anywhere. Some are more strict than others, but if you start declaring anywhere you leave yourself at the mercy of officialdom. Remember that you are a guest in Thailand, there are no human rights laws at every turn and you can be deported on a whim. No courts and no appeal. People in these places will leave you alone as long as you behave yourself and as such it’s like a new start. It’s the opportunity we’d all wish for in the UK. There’s nothing magic about it, you keep quiet, work, behave yourself . . . and that’s it. I believe that if you apply in the UK for a retirement visa you are asked to declare, but not if you apply in Thailand. Not too sure as I'm not on that visa.   

By Hobbit - 13 May 13 1:33 PM

800k Baht (16,500 GBP) per year ?!

Even a full time job in UK stacking shelves don't get you that much !

I read on the net which I know can be unreliable but it suggested someone can spend around 40,000-50,000 baht or 1.2k per month to survive in Thailand, I find that very expensive. I often hear that food and drink is cheap as chips down there but guess not.

IanC said...

“I was wondering if anybody had information or personal experience of living and working in Thailand with a serious criminal record ?” Why?

Well I asked this question because I understood from internet research that to obtain a visa to retire there, that you had to disclose.

We all agree that internet research can be very misleading, however, I am sure that the information came through the Thai embassy website. 

Isn’t this the same as another recent thread? Why are you asking about serious offences Q3? Yours is of a petty nature and yes IanC obviously wouldn’t be my real name. There will be no fishing for references as to who I am or shortcuts as to how I did it, believe me. I’ll give anybody the basics, but I won’t give information that you couldn’t find out for yourself.  

Sorry Ian, I have no recollection of another thread. I was asking about "Serious Offences", as when disclosing (If you are made to, in the UK) weather certain crimes would be deemed more serious than others ?. My crimes are of a petty nature here in Blighty, and I didn't spend a decade in prison, as you have confessed to,however in some countries they (my petty crimes) are deemed very serious.

An example of crazy laws in other countries : Kissing in public in Dubai can get you flogged, stealing in Dakar can result in getting your right hand chopped off, even bouncing a cheque in Saudi can get you locked up.

In regards to your user name, I am not interested in your real name, why would I be ? I am happy to call you Ian or Ian C, or whatever you may decide to call yourself.

It is clearly obvious that you are very intelligent Ian, however, I don't need a Phd to know that  your not going to give any shortcuts away that could compromise your current or future situations.

OK, specifically Thailand. DON’T believe that any agency or legal office can get you a visa; they can’t but will gladly put a nice copy one in your passport, (for a price), as you will discover on your way to jail as you try to leave the country, or try to renew it.

There are various types of visas, the most common are retirement or marriage. The retirement one you can get at 50 years old and can change your 12 month tourist ‘O’ into a retirement one (which you get in the UK), whilst in Thailand. You can only do this at the Immigration office – agencies will do this for you, but don’t believe you can bypass Immigration with adverts that companies can ‘fix’ things for you. This is why I often don’t use the internet for info, much of it is misleading at best. You have to have a retirement pension or show proof of income or savings on a yearly basis, currently I believe it’s 800k Baht (16,500 GBP).

No country wants ex-offenders, which is the bottom line anywhere. Some are more strict than others, but if you start declaring anywhere you leave yourself at the mercy of officialdom.

Sadly this is very true, after all why would any country need more people moving in and living there that may commit crime ?.

It's a shame that the UK do not check everyone from the EU that are entering the UK on a daily basis, european migrant crime is increasing month on month.

Remember that you are a guest in Thailand, there are no human rights laws at every turn and you can be deported on a whim. No courts and no appeal. People in these places will leave you alone as long as you behave yourself and as such it’s like a new start. It’s the opportunity we’d all wish for in the UK. There’s nothing magic about it, you keep quiet, work, behave yourself . . . and that’s it. I believe that if you apply in the UK for a retirement visa you are asked to declare, but not if you apply in Thailand. Not too sure as I'm not on that visa.   

The final word is that, IF you can get into ANY country, it's going to be always in your best interests to take the advice above, and behave yourself ! 

Good - Luck and Respectful regards Ian  

Post Edited (Q3) : 15/08/2013 20:53:07 (GMT+1)

By Anonymous - 5 Sep 10 3:02 AM

The law is that on the day of application you must have that money in your account confirmed by a letter from your bank. There are companies that will put the money into your account and withhold your card/bank book for their security. After it’s been sorted, you go back, they transfer the money back into their account and you pay them a commission before you get your card/book back. Perfectly legal. The reason they want long stay foreigners to have some means of support is because you can’t go running to the government to finance you. Hence it’s got rid of the backpackers, beach bums and other ‘undesirables’. Border runs have also been reduced to 14 days by land entry. It’s happening in most countries now; no one wants chancers or the destitute wandering around expecting the local population to keep them.

As for living costs, it’s as expensive as you want to make it. Live like the locals and it’s cheap, live like the big white foreigner and you’ll eat up money. Average salary for teachers is now dropping at 25 - 30k a month and they manage. What you have to remember is there is no safety net there and you have to get used to the idea of making it without the help of others. For cheap, cheap try Cambodia, but it’s not a place I ever felt safe in. The bottom line is that if you’re unable to work or have no fixed income, it’s pointless coming; only the west is prepared to feed, clothe and house you for free.    

Many thanks for the clarification Ian.

By chappers69 - 18 Apr 12 12:21 PM

b