theForum

China visa

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic12164.aspx

By forever changes - 7 May 09 7:06 PM

the china visa application has a q 'have you ever been convicted of a crime in china or any other country'. what to do????
By Christopher Stacey - 18 Jun 08 1:26 PM

China are not required to follow the ROA, and therefore you will need to answer the question by disclosing all convictions.

It may be that China has some kind of rehabilitation law which sifts old convictions, however I cannot seem to find much about this. I would suggest you contact the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre on T: 0207 842 0960 or at www.visaforchina.org.uk

Christopher Stacey said...
China are not required to follow the ROA, and therefore you will need to answer the question by disclosing all convictions.

It may be that China has some kind of rehabilitation law which sifts old convictions, however I cannot seem to find much about this. I would suggest you contact the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre on T: 0207 842 0960 or at www.visaforchina.org.uk
as per comments elsewhere in the forum re the USA, how would they know any information if I didn't tell them?
By biologist - 11 Aug 09 10:49 AM

They more than likely will not know about a conviction unless it is serious enough to appear on Interpol or FBI databases.  If you were arrested in the states that will also come up.  Chances are it's all just a big honeypot for everyone with convictions to admit them to the states because the UK would not open up the PNC to them.  Do you think that the USA would open up its entire criminal database with the UK? No chance.  I imagine they just have reciprocal agreements on sharing data on the "big guns" like FBI and Interpol's most wanted list, traffickers, murderers, failed asylum seekers, passport fraud etc etc.  I think it's more of a deterent so the major crims don't attempt to go over.  I don't think for two seconds that the states are interested in someone with a spent conviction; it's all just umbrella terminology to include all people with criminal records, when in reality I think it's just aimed at big timers. I doubt even John Q Cheesburger who scans your fingerprints and takes a nice mugshot of you at Orlando International is bothered about letting people in who have commited a less serious crime and paid their debt to society.  In reality, aren't we all just reformed people who make mistakes, we don't want to go to the states to commit crime.  I think they need to wake up and smell the coffee, or more importantly the tourist dollars they are missing out on.

Completely agree, but the process is as it is at the moment. Anybody who fails to disclose is potentially committing a criminal offence - that's not a road I would want to go down.

It's scare tactics.  As the HO letter states......The USA do not have routine access to the PNC.

It's a case of if you were given the twice over at customs and they rang the HO or Interpol to get your criminal record, then they'd know.  They'd have to have a damn good reason to ask tho!!  In my eyes if customs were to ruin a family holiday cos a member made a mistake in the past then they are the criminals.  It's all very unbalanced and unfair.  They need to have a radical change to their visa laws.  Think about all the people without convictions that are free to travel and they then break the law while over there.

As per my past post, it's all umbrella terminology to scare the big uns off.  It's work aswell, otherwise you wouldnt have normal people like me and you being scared of going for a holiday in the states.

Biologist

Biologist,

I completely respect your opinion on this, and of course you are free to make an informed decision, hence why I go the information from the Home Office last year on this matter.

However, it cannot be ignored that anybody who attempts to travel to the US and hides their criminal record when asked (for example, by travelling under the VWP and confirms that they have never been arrested or convicted) is liable to prosecution. Personally, that isn't a risk I would be willing to take.

I think it's about time the UK stopped all Americans with past criminal records coming to the UK.

It stinks that we have a fair system of spent convictions and no questions of past convictions upon entry to the UK.  It makes me sick that an American could commit a crime which then becomes spent; allowing them then to travel to the UK.

The Americans are surely laughing at us?

Biologist

All I'll say is "treat others as you wish to be treated". You cannot base our countries actions on those of others.

And, although I take your point that it is good that we have a system, I would hardly say it was "fair" as it is, but it is indeed an important recognition. Unfortunately, it has been gradually eroded over time, and "spent" is pretty limited nowadays.

I told the truth on my application and much to my relief it was granted. If I'd lied i'd have been worried about it all holiday[if they'd let me in!].

That's great news!

If you don't mind saying, what was your conviction for?

Biologist

biologist said...
That's great news!

If you don't mind saying, what was your conviction for?

Biologist
I am a [reformed] sex offender
By lastgo70 - 5 Aug 10 1:24 PM

Hi, I have just had my visa application for china rejected (for an offence from 18 years ago), so I am curious to know, did you apply via post or did you attend in person?

lastgo70 said...

Hi, I have just had my visa application for china rejected (for an offence from 18 years ago), so I am curious to know, did you apply via post or did you attend in person?

in person tho I used the normal service so had to leave it with them and collect a few days later. Maybe it helped I'd been there before a few times pre-offending
By napes44 - 24 Feb 10 11:57 AM

Hello all. I am planning to visit China in December and want to apply for my visa shortly. The q about a conviction troubles me. Do I answer it honestly and disclose my conviction albeit 6.5yrs ago or do I fail to disclose it? the conviction was for downloading 14 indecent images, an offence for which I continue to feel very guilty and remorseful. Any advice?

napes44 said...
Hello all. I am planning to visit China in December and want to apply for my visa shortly. The q about a conviction troubles me. Do I answer it honestly and disclose my conviction albeit 6.5yrs ago or do I fail to disclose it? the conviction was for downloading 14 indecent images, an offence for which I continue to feel very guilty and remorseful. Any advice?

I had a similar and more recent offence and disclosed it and got a visa. I went in person to the visa office and they checked the form whilst I was there including my disclosure, I don't know if that made a difference me being there. Depending on if you're going with a tour co. they may get a group visa which may require less individual info to be disclosed. My only regret is not applying for a year-long visa so I could go again without having to resubmit an application, so if you think you may go more than once it's worth considering doing that.

Thank you for your experience and advice. How did you word your disclosure? The messages about non-disclosure are confusing and I am wondering about staying quiet especially as so many advise non-disclosure. I will also consider applying for a year long visa so thank you for that advice.

napes44 said...
Thank you for your experience and advice. How did you word your disclosure? The messages about non-disclosure are confusing and I am wondering about staying quiet especially as so many advise non-disclosure. I will also consider applying for a year long visa so thank you for that advice.
I kept it short and simple. Part of my thinking was as I was attendeding in person at the visa centre I was willing to explain it further if need be, I put something like "2005 conviction for possession of indecent images of children". I was in 2 minds about disclosing like you but I ended up deciding I didnt fancy being stopped in Shanghai airport and risk being sent back, which may have attracted publicity in UK, and on the other hand if my visa got refused it wasnt the end of the world if I couldnt go to China again

I am going on own. Refusal of a visa would be a big problem hence my concern about disclosing.

napes44 said...
I am going on own. Refusal of a visa would be a big problem hence my concern about disclosing.
I went on my own. It ain't easy all this. The person who checked my form just glanced at my form and ticked all my answers and said I could collect it 4 days later which I did. let's know what you decide and the outcome!

If I don't disclose on the application form what are the risks and consequences?? It seems from various posts that no checks are made.

I heard the other day (and I admit here that I am, strangely for me, indulging in rumour) that, whilst access to foreign convictions (and therefore, for China, people from the UK) is limited, and can only really be done on individual request from Interpol, many countries compile their own databases of people with convictions (I suspect, given my presence on this forum is full name, I may be on a few if they do exist), although I doubt how much this is true.

Nevertheless, it is worth considering that lying on an application form will potentially constitute a criminal offence. Having looked into this for the US, the maximum penalty under US Immigration law was 11 years. Whilst this can seem like scaremongering, I know many UNLOCK members wouldn't want to take the risk, but the practical reality of access is pretty clear.
By Pete B - 1 Nov 10 11:45 AM

I was unclear on the entry process regarding convictions when I went to the states in 1998 I declared them and was shipped back. I have since gone over on 12 ocassions so it pays to tell the truth althrough they interview you charge you money and dictate 1 visit and the period it can be taken. It stinks it impacts on my work opportunitys and is an area that needs to be sorted.
By alibluehazel - 14 Nov 10 7:30 PM

forever changes said...

lastgo70 said...

in person tho I used the normal service so had to leave it with them and collect a few days later. Maybe it helped I'd been there before a few times pre-offending

Hello there,

You said you went in person - where did you go? I want to go to China. 

alibluehazel said...

forever changes said...

lastgo70 said...

Hello there,

You said you went in person - where did you go? I want to go to China. 

I take it you mean where did I go to get a visa -  I went to the visa centre in Manchester, there's another in London. Just follow the procedure https://www.visaforchina.org.uk/visaen/visaView.html?method=readSimple&channelId=17#Menu=ChildMenu4 you have to start and make an appointment online and either complete the form online or print the form off and fill it in by hand - you can do the latter in the centre itself and there's a specimen completed form on the wall to help.

By Sputnik - 8 Sep 10 6:46 PM

Forever, I might have missed it (appologies if I have) but is your conviction spent, and do you think this made a difference in their decision to award you a visa?
I have just over 3 years on teh SOR to go, anmd just over 12 months under supervision.
Thanks
By Anonymous - 5 Sep 10 3:02 AM

"Do you have any criminal record in China or any other country"?

See the attached documents. If you work you will also need the second attached document and will also need to apply for a special 'Z' visa. The process is lengthy, costly, beauracratic and time consuming. If you have masochistic tendencies; you may increase the beauracracy, time and length of your application by answering 'yes' to the initial question and an almost certainty of being refused.   

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

Post Edited (IanC) : 12/12/2011 09:43:52 GMT

You wouldn’t need a ‘Z’ visa if you’re not getting paid – it’s considered ‘voluntary’ work and you can do that on a tourist visa. The problem with tourist visas is you only get 30 days, (no matter what you apply for), but you can extend them for twice x 30 days each, (Public Security Bureau), giving you a total of 90 days.

Almost certainly a declaration will flag up an inquiry and will in nearly all cases be refused. It’s not what or how long ago, its criminal convictions they’re asking for. If you have one you should declare it, if you do you’re probably so naïve and unworldly wise that you really shouldn’t consider travelling abroad. Read between the lines on this one Steven.

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

By steven__1234 - 12 Dec 11 8:30 AM

I've hear your point loud and clear.
Thanks Marmite.
Steve

You're welcome and good luck.

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite