theForum

I have my life back

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic12367.aspx

By BlueAngel - 1 Feb 14 3:34 PM

I was a victim of serious domestic abuse which led to my conviction. I had never done anything wrong in my life, and have never done so since.

I was a highly regarded professional who did something completely out of character due to threats to my life and the lives of my children. I was convicted because I went to the police and told them what I had done. I could not live with it on my conscience.

I told my employers the day that I was charged and also informed my professional governing body. I was allowed to remain in my senior position for a further 16 months until my conviction.

My then manager flawed my disciplinary and I was dismissed. I was then suspended for a year by my governing body. This could have been worse but they took the mitigation of abuse into consideration.

Following my reinstatement a year later, I applied for three positions. I was honest and up front with each application. I was offered all three jobs. I took the job that was better than the job I was dismissed from and have excelled in my career. My line manager who interviewed me believed in me and saw through the conviction.

In fact, a few weeks ago she turned to me and said that she was so glad she employed me as I have brought a beautiful personality to the department. I cried as the stigma of a conviction can cut so deeply.

Honesty has always been to my credit. That is what got me the three job offers. I have my life back.

I count myself so lucky to have been given the chance to prove myself again. Hang in there...all is not lost
By nathan - 18 Jun 13 11:02 PM

Congratulations Blue Angel!
By tellyon - 13 Oct 15 8:17 PM

That's a great story. Sometimes the lowest points in life can also be turning points.
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

What a fantastic story BlueAngel - just goes to show you that there are people out there who are prepared to look beyond a one off mistake.

Wishing you much happiness and continued success.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline