theForum

Offered a job

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic12383.aspx

By AJW83 - 19 May 14 2:03 PM

Some good luck for a change I was offered a job today which I have accepted extremely please obviously, my advice to anyone struggling write to local employers not national ones, some of it is pot luck I had written to about 80 employers and one was having an existing employee leave in the next 2 weeks so they wanted someone in quick and didnt bother advertising best of all its 15 minutes walk away Smile

My circumstances

*Finished my last temp contract with a big public sector employer over a year ago I was convicted of "that crime" 4 years ago

*Made a new CV applied for well over 600 jobs only had roughly 6 interviews over 10 months

*Asked Jobcentre to send me for training at a local training centre to boost my CV, only basic stuff such as RSA/OCR, SAGE things like that

*Was referred to the work programme and had a brilliant CV done by them I have 5 interviews over the last month alone.

*Work programme also let me write to employers with a covering letter and CV so I had no postage to pay or print costs.

* Was called this morning for an interview and offered the job there and then, they never even asked about convictions only about health issues which I explained about my depression, stated it didnt affect my attendance which they appreciated me being honest about
By Victor H - 15 Dec 13 7:37 PM

congrats man

do your best not to disclose and stick to that job till retirement if you can !
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi AJW83

Huge congratulations. Hope that all goes really well with the job. Let us know.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Thanks for the congrats guys first week went well, I like the job but it definitely wont be long term just until im spent I think.

Just got to contact those fine police officers which im dreading
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hope all goes well with the police.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Thanks Debbie yes it went ok thank you, I just emailed them. 2 weeks down at work already its flying by.
By CC - 19 Sep 14 8:23 PM

Congratulations on the job, 600 cv`s ? wow you deserve it, maybe you should change your name to Tenacious D :-)

haha thanks Tongue

Yep probably well over that and those were for advertised roles, my advise especially for those unspent apply for local small businesses even if there is no role advertised, most business owners love someone who seeks out employment, I had more responses in 4 weeks of applying to random local businesses than I had in nearly 12 months of advertised roles, obviously there is a degree of good timing though.