theForum

ISA Appeal - anyone been there?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic12646.aspx

By Yankee - 13 Oct 16 10:59 AM

Yankee - 1 May 15 4:00 PM
My offence fell into the 'Automatic Barring with right to representations" category and I received a DBS letter giving me 8 weeks to make written representations.

I composed an objective and structured letter outlining reasons why the barring would be disproportionate and inappropriate. Wherever possible, I quoted from my pre-sentence reports (especially the Risk sections) and also included some relevant quotes from character witness statements used during my trial.

I spoke to the DBS this week to check status (3 months has elapsed). They told me that they are in the process of collecting further evidence and are waiting to receive a copy of the judge's sentencing remarks.

I don't know what the eventual outcome will be and will post to the forum when I hear. The positive is that they are taking action to get more information and didn't reject out of hand. The unknown is whether that is done as a matter of course and therefore no one with any decision making power has actually reviewed my representations in detail.

Sorry, I meant to update this with the outcome.  The good news for me is that the DBS accepted the representations and removed me from the barring lists.  As part of the process, they went to the court to get the transcript of the judges sentencing remarks.

While this makes very little difference to me in terms of future employment and doesn't address all the earlier adverse publicity, it removes the stigma. Bottom line is that it was a mindset thing - the thought that someone somewhere who doesn't know me could consider me a potential risk to children or vulnerable adults used to eat away at me. Thankfully, that's no longer the case.
By Anchors - 3 Dec 14 3:48 PM

I was convicted of battery whilst working as a Mothers Help. To cut a long story short, I was told that there was no way that I'd be convicted...and then I was. It came as a total shock. I was sentenced to community service and probation, which I completed.

I've had a letter stating that I can appeal my inclusion on the ISA children and adults barred lists, as they didn't notify me of the change from POCA/POVA/List 99. They've advised that I get a solicitor, but my quotes so far are around £1000, and I can't afford that.

It's been six years since. I'm obviously not OFSTED registered anymore, nor do I work with children or adults. I have built myself a career and a new family, and I have been in no trouble since. I was rated as a low risk of reoffending by probation. My mental health conditions are now fully under control.

To be honest, being on these lists makes me feel ashamed. It stops me from being able to talk about my experience and stop other people making the mistakes that I did, and it prevents me from having any involvement with anything child related professionally, where I believe I could be useful. That wouldn't be direct contact! Being on the lists also causes me a lot of anxiety and means I feel unable to travel internationally - I'm guessing I'd be rejected from the US/Australia/Canada, for example.

Has anyone been through this, or found anything useful online? I'm really struggling to find anything at all to help me.