theForum

Hi

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic12998.aspx

By east72 - 3 Sep 13 9:43 PM

Hi
I have just joined the forum after being released from prison a few days ago.

It seems strange at the mo being able to go and do what i want (within the law and licence).

I also felt down this morning thinking about getting a job and paying bills again!! I suppose it normal to feel low and depressed
after being in prison for 36 months.

I need to have a look at home insurance now my wife done the car through LV they were not interested in non motoring offences and it came cheaper than her old policy with aviva!!

Post Edited (east72) : 21/09/2013 09:57:45 (GMT+1)

By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Welcome East72.

I am sure you will find the forum members a source of valuable information, advice and support.

Please feel free to contact the Unlock Helpline if you need advice on any specific issues.

Unlock Helpline

Call: 01634 247350 (Press 1)
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Find out more about the Helpline at www.unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=97

By Anonymous - 12 Apr 13 3:50 PM

On the positive side, welcome back !

Yes, this is a great place to get advice, however, don't take what is said on here as the "Gospel".

There are certain members on here that want to " Share" stories, and "weed out" information, don't get sucked in.

I suggest that on ANY important issues, that the Unlock Helpline is your first port of call.

For the last 36 months, I have paid income tax, national insurance, rates, insurance, household bills, HP payments, child care costs, road tax, and whatever, I feel low and depressed, and I have been on the outside !!

Thank you

My wife has been waiting for me so we have still had the bills to pay (just not directly),and now we have to try and build a life again which is going to be so hard no jobs etc.

I have just sorted our house insurance with co op at least they will insure with my type of offence.

I feel sick every morning when i wake not knowing what the future has in-store for us .

Thanks for the heads up on certain members i will be aware nono
By Anonymous - 12 Apr 13 3:50 PM

east72 said...
Thank you

My wife has been waiting for me so we have still had the bills to pay (just not directly),and now we have to try and build a life again which is going to be so hard no jobs etc.

I have just sorted our house insurance with co op at least they will insure with my type of offence.

I feel sick every morning when i wake not knowing what the future has in-store for us .

Thanks for the heads up on certain members i will be aware nono

east72.

I can see where your coming from my friend.

If your wife has stuck by you through the last three years, then I am 100 % sure that with her help and together as a team you will make it through.

Remember : Behind every good bloke is a good woman !

Take everyday as it comes, don't worry too much about work and bill's, just breathe the fresh air, look up at the blue sky, and feel the sunshine on your face. 

None of us know what is around the corner, or what tomorrow brings, as the future is just that.

We cant change the past, we can only change the future.

I wish you, and the missus all the very best.

Take EVERY reply on it's own merits, there are lots of slightly off centre people on here.

Thank you again Q3

Its been near on 4 weeks now since i got out and i still feel strange like i can't fit back in, i walk round tesco looking around every isle.

i must have applied for 20 jobs within the remit i can and still nothing not even an interview. I have had a few recruitment agencies ask why i have a 3 year gap in my cv well i then have to tell the truth !!!!
Thats the last i hear from them.

I know nobody can see what the future is going to bring but mine looks bleak at this point in time.. Every little thing that happens seems like a massive problem i just hope its still early days and things will get better as time goes on.
By ben230 - 2 Feb 12 6:07 PM

Hi East72

I wouldn't worry too much about the recruitment agencies, I'd say it's always best applying directly where possible because in my experience the agencies won't give you the chance that a company might and they are often a waste of time. You should be prepared to discuss the gap in your employment history when you do get an interview. If you're asked on an application form to explain gaps in employment you are free to put that you were "not in employment due to personal circumstances" and then either explain the details in a covering letter or at interview which allows your application to be considered independently of that information.

Also keep up the job search, it's difficult for everyone at the moment and something will come up - just focus on what skills you can offer an employer as I'm sure you have many. Have you looked at the thread "Companies who employ ex-offenders"? It hasn't been updated for a while but there might be something there which gives you an idea. Focus on jobs which you think you can do and that you think your offence might not be an issue for.. most likely not working with children, elderly people, perhaps handling money etc. as they're likely to require checks and you can avoid disappointment by targeting your search.

Thanks for that Ben I am still searching jobs with no luck , I just wish the anxiety would go away I have been out for over 4 weeks now but still I get fast heartbeat at the slightest noise . I am better after about 9.00 pm I seem to settle then but I know what's in store for the next morning feeling sick worrying about the future of living off benefits . Has anyone else who has come from prison had this feeling for this amount of time? I was thinking of the doctors but last time I was on anti depressants the feeling while they settled in was so bad . Any help out there? Everyone lives in the unknown but I feel like I can predict mine is not good.
By Anonymous - 5 Sep 10 3:02 AM

From past experience, it took me about two years to get back to anything like a normal life, start to forget and leave it behind me. Anti depressants will simply add on to that time. It helps if you have a higher education or skills to offer. With nearly 3m unemployed; benefits is the option for those that haven’t got anything to offer.

Here we go back to the old argument of disclosing. If you have a three year gap in your life and no alternative explanation, no skills and ‘come clean’ about where you’ve been, then getting used to being unemployed is an almost definite option. Take it easy, take your time, get rid of the depression/anxiety – in other words learn to walk before you start to run. Plan out your future; where do you want to be five years from now? What are you doing about it? Take deep breaths and don’t want for too much initially and in such a short time.

That’s my advice for what it’s worth.  :-)

By Hobbit - 13 May 13 1:33 PM

Welcome East72

It will take time to readjust back to normality, its this time you have to remember you still have your health and good spirit and wife as well ! I agree with the above comments, the 3 year gap a good cover letter explaining the situation will help, I would keep one for your real situation ie 3 years in prison... and another saying you had a career break or had to look after a sick relative.

This way you have full control, of course if a job is asking for a crb/dbs check then you will need to disclose the 3 years, otherwise if its a basic job and no questions asked nothing needs to be shown or mentioned, or you can at most suggest you had a career break etc.

We all live in the real world, you will have to make these adjustments and continue the fight. Remember its a new world where everyone is unemployed and signing on, look at this as a fresh and new start for yourself. Perhaps ask friends and family for work and employment ? Consider checking out the other sections on here in employment and read the self employment thread.... self employment is always an option so why not try it.

You always have options available !

Thanks for the replys

I just feel at a loose end don't know which way to turn, the anxiety is so bad i feel sick all day and night i feel like i will never work again who would want to give me a chance with a record.

I have looked into the self employed part but what with? most of the ones which make anything are being done 100s of times over.

I have had a few interviews and as yet not been asked about a criminal record but they do ask about the gap which i fill with education courses as i done so many in prison i have a folder full of certs (most of the useless). This is one reason to get some work as the longer the gap gets the harder it is to fill.

Any advice from anyone who has been or still in this situation would be great and thank you again for the kind support so far.