theForum

Name change and references

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic22157.aspx

By NigelV2 - 30 Aug 16 7:17 AM

Wondering how people have approached this aspect of changing your name.
I changed mine last year, but most things on my CV were done under my old name.  How do yo approach the idea of someone wanting to check references and knowing that they will not find anything using your current name?

By Square - 23 Jul 17 6:49 PM

NigelV2 - 30 Aug 16 7:17 AM
Wondering how people have approached this aspect of changing your name.
I changed mine last year, but most things on my CV were done under my old name.  How do yo approach the idea of someone wanting to check references and knowing that they will not find anything using your current name?

I changed my name. Older qualifications under a previous name can have the name changed on them. It is unlikely they will supply a parchment in a new name, however you will be able to request an updated transcript in the new name. This was a very long process for me to achieve.

In terms of references, if you have a positive relationship with your previous employer, you can contact them and let them know that you have changed your name and they should expect to receive a request for a reference in the old name. If you don't have confidence in contacting your previous employer because of your conviction or other reason you could write to HR and notify them that your name has been changed. Your name change is, however, liable to become public knowledge.

You could also try to find employment with someone who won't check references. labouring, factory work etc. are unlikely to ask for references (think companies who hire lots of eastern Europeans). You then could build a reference with them.