theForum

Pets

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic22201.aspx

By BenS - 21 Sep 16 7:53 AM

Hi all,

I just wanted to share how having a pet (or several) can help with depression and rehabilitation, if you're lucky enough to live somewhere where you can have them.

After my conviction I felt like a pariah to society, despite never wishing any harm on any other soul, human or animal. I had thoughts of suicide. I got a cat, and then another, and they are my whole world, I love them so much it hurts. They make everything worth it. It is a myth that cats are unemotional and can't form bonds with humans.

Whether you're a cat person, dog person, or whatever pet you prefer, I can advise for anyone who feels lonely or that they have nothing to live for. You get something to live for, who depends on you to live and who loves you back without judging you. Equally importantly, you provide them with a loving forever home and a happy life. Also, the practical responsibilities, like feeding, cleaning, veterinary care, etc. help with your rehabilitation in becoming a responsible and reliable person, which can translate into other aspects of life like being a trustworthy employee etc. and gives your life more structure.
By Deb S - 21 Sep 16 9:32 AM

BenS - 21 Sep 16 7:53 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to share how having a pet (or several) can help with depression and rehabilitation, if you're lucky enough to live somewhere where you can have them.

After my conviction I felt like a pariah to society, despite never wishing any harm on any other soul, human or animal. I had thoughts of suicide. I got a cat, and then another, and they are my whole world, I love them so much it hurts. They make everything worth it. It is a myth that cats are unemotional and can't form bonds with humans.

Whether you're a cat person, dog person, or whatever pet you prefer, I can advise for anyone who feels lonely or that they have nothing to live for. You get something to live for, who depends on you to live and who loves you back without judging you. Equally importantly, you provide them with a loving forever home and a happy life. Also, the practical responsibilities, like feeding, cleaning, veterinary care, etc. help with your rehabilitation in becoming a responsible and reliable person, which can translate into other aspects of life like being a trustworthy employee etc. and gives your life more structure.

Hi BenS

I totally agree with all you say in your post. I'm more of a dog person myself and know that my dog has, over the years, provided great emotional support just by being his affectionate, loyal self.

6 Ways Pets Relieve Depression