theForum

Getting USA resident status with criminal convictions in the UK

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic23251.aspx

By Wildie - 24 Oct 16 1:31 PM

Hi
I have two convictiions that prevent me from entering the USA with out Visa. One for possession of marijuana (1.2 grams) in 1982 and one for Wounding Section 20 1986. Got a 2 year conditional discharge as even the magistrate thought the guy got what he asked for ! Also I was cautioned in 2011 for a row with my neighbour over a fence line. 
I'm a retired school teacher and have been subject to  full disclosure of criminal offences whenever applying for a job in teaching. it has never proved an issue and worked as a teacher for 30 years in England.
My wife is an American citizen and we both want to retire over there. When we have flown there in the past, some 10 times, to see her family we used the ESTA system as we honestly believed my convictions were spent as they were some 30+ years ago.
However this week, when researching US Immigration, it says all convictions arrests etc. must be disclosed and as such I should therefore have applied for a Visa at The Embassy using I-160 and ACPO police certificate etc.
My question is this, as I've clearly contravened their Immigration Laws by 'lying' on the ESTA form by answering 'no' to the drugs question, i guess I've committed a felony crime under their law.
How then should we go about clearing up this mess ? I have an awful feeling that i will be denied a Spouse Visa because I've entered the USA illegally numerous times illegally.
Can anyone out there have any sensible ideas as to how we should proceed / Thanks

By RN1234 - 9 Apr 17 4:02 AM

Hi Wildie

Can you please reply to what happened in your situation? Did you apply for the US visa? If so, did you get it? I am asking because my spouse is in a similar situation. Thanks