theForum

Google effect

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24416.aspx

By Yankee - 8 Mar 17 5:28 PM

I posted in the google forum that the right to be forgotten comes from the EU privacy laws, not UK specific laws.

We should lobby that any review of the ROA should also include privacy extensions for spent convictions to ensure it is fit for purpose post Brexit
By Diogenese - 20 Mar 18 12:06 PM

AB2014 - 13 Mar 18 11:36 AM
Diogenese - 10 Mar 18 12:06 PM
Yankee - 8 Mar 17 5:28 PM
I posted in the google forum that the right to be forgotten comes from the EU privacy laws, not UK specific laws.

We should lobby that any review of the ROA should also include privacy extensions for spent convictions to ensure it is fit for purpose post Brexit

If the rich and famous can benefit from this, why not the ordinary person?

I certainly agree that we should lobby for change to the ROA, it strikes me as simply a money spinner for the Treasury and a burden on the employer. The current legislation is an example of institutional discrimination. How does disclosure help an employer decide on your skills and capabilities for a job? All it does it set up barriers from the offset resulting in being refused the job or being forever viewed with caution and suspicion and no matter how hard you work or how efficient you may be, there will always be those who tiptoe around expecting ... well, I don't quite know what ... for someone to burst into spontaneous criminality, I suppose.

There's some stuff on the Unlock section of Scoop.it here that shows that the courts are having to deal with this stuff, so the judgements could create useful case law precedents. Meanwhile, I agree that removing spent convictions should be mandatory, whether for media outlets or social media. Otherwise, rehabilitation means nothing. The ROA wasn't written with the internet in mind, and the changes in 2013 only updated the rehabilitation periods. BTW, it's not just for the rich and famous - it can also be used by the poor and infamous, according to Unlock's information here.

You're quite right about it being available to the common herd but it's my experience that far too few people are able to understand or get to grips with the process. Due to the restrictions on internet access within a prison, it's not even an easy lesson to teach to others.