theForum

Vehicle Hire

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24458.aspx

By RobF46 - 25 Mar 17 4:06 PM

Has anyone hired a car or van recently and if so could they advise if they were asked at any point if they had a criminal record when completing paperwork. I have a need to move some equipment and have enquiried about hiring a van but no mention of such questions from the vehicle hire company of such checks. In light of the tragic events in London this week it occurred to me that Hire companies might ask me when I have to fill out forms for the vehicle insurance and I don't won't to be put on the spot as it were. If anyone has some experience or insight I would be grateful.
By AB2014 - 28 Mar 17 11:04 AM

CC - 27 Mar 17 3:19 PM
RobF46 - 25 Mar 17 4:06 PM
Has anyone hired a car or van recently and if so could they advise if they were asked at any point if they had a criminal record when completing paperwork. I have a need to move some equipment and have enquiried about hiring a van but no mention of such questions from the vehicle hire company of such checks. In light of the tragic events in London this week it occurred to me that Hire companies might ask me when I have to fill out forms for the vehicle insurance and I don't won't to be put on the spot as it were. If anyone has some experience or insight I would be grateful.

I have also hired on a few occasions and never been asked, you could always try reserving a vehicle online and see what's required. Most hire companies now offer online booking of vehicles.

I had to hire a van when I moved out of a probation hostel. Despite that being my address, they still didn't ask. It might be worth checking the small print, though, just in case.