theForum

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24710.aspx

By AB2014 - 19 Mar 24 9:43 AM

marcovanba - 16 Mar 24 10:08 PM
With this looking likely for 2025, does anyone have any thoughts on how it may look?

I spent a lot of time in Europe so concerned it could have some sort of impact

My conviction (2 years suspended) was for fraud in 2015 (so 9 years past and 3 years spent) and not sure on the likelihood I will still be able to travel to Europe

The UK does not share criminal record info with any other countries or the EU (which isn't a country, obviously). There is no link between your UK passport and your criminal record, and any information put on the Schengen Information System by the UK police was removed as a part of Brexit (not relevant to you but maybe relevant to others). So, if you choose not to disclose, they won't know, but if you travel without disclosing under ETIAS, if you ever need a Schengen visa, you will need a police certificate, which will show your record, and they would then see that you had travelled without disclosing at a time when you should have disclosed, which would give them a decision to make. For now, though, until ETIAS starts, you do not need to disclose.
By Normallife - 13 Aug 17 1:54 PM

Is anyone else worried about what might happen if we choose to abandon freedom of movement during Brexit negotiations?

One area of concern is we would require visas to travel to the continent and may be required to declare convictions! This is unbelievable! Our right to travel, move freely and live in Europe is under threat. This is an extremely important issue that affects all of us and I'm surprised it hasn't been raised much on this forum. One would think that as time goes by, a country becomes more civilized- in a civilized country the citizens have rights- such as what we have currently with EU freedom of movement. However, that's not the case with the UK as it seems we're gonna be hit hard by the impact of Brexit.