theForum

Can we DBS checks as standard for job applicants?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24769.aspx

By Stevieboy - 21 Sep 17 4:30 PM

Being unemployed & with unspent convictions I've found that many employment agencies are asking for applicants to provide basic DBS checks for ANY vacancy!
Is there any legality to this or is this a new low for people with unspent convictions?
What the choice for me? Pay - with money I can't afford to spend - for a DBS check in the knowledge that my application will be binned or not apply for jobs that ask for a check? In the meantime my rent goes unpaid and my destiny is a sleeping bag in a shop doorway.
Isn't my time spent in prison punishment enough...............?
I wish that I had the guts to kill myself, I really do.

Sorry the post topic should read "Can we EXPECT DBS checks......"
By AB2014 - 28 Sep 17 12:08 PM

Deb S - 22 Sep 17 8:36 AM
Stevieboy - 21 Sep 17 4:30 PM
Being unemployed & with unspent convictions I've found that many employment agencies are asking for applicants to provide basic DBS checks for ANY vacancy!
Is there any legality to this or is this a new low for people with unspent convictions?
What the choice for me? Pay - with money I can't afford to spend - for a DBS check in the knowledge that my application will be binned or not apply for jobs that ask for a check? In the meantime my rent goes unpaid and my destiny is a sleeping bag in a shop doorway.
Isn't my time spent in prison punishment enough...............?
I wish that I had the guts to kill myself, I really do.

Sorry the post topic should read "Can we EXPECT DBS checks......"

Hi Stevieboy

Just to clarify. Any employer can ask for a basic criminal record check for any job and it's becoming more common for employers and employment agencies to ask for these. Some employers will reimburse you the cost (currently £25) but this is not always the case with employment agencies.  Basic criminal record checks have previously been carried out by Disclosure Scotland but between September and December 2017, responsibility will be passed to the DBS.  

Unless you are working with children or vulnerable adults or will be working in a role regulated by say the FCA, employers can't ask for you to do standard or enhanced DBS checks. Employers/employment agencies requesting these for jobs which are not eligible will be breaking the law. 

All the time your conviction is unspent, it will be considerably more difficult to find work. Obviously you don't want to fork out money for criminal record checks without some security of knowing that you've got a job. If I were you, I'd probably try to apply directly to employers (rather than agencies) who will generally only ask successful applicants to have criminal record checks.

If you are claiming job seekers allowance then it may be worth asking your advisor whether there is any money available for you to get a basic criminal record check although bear in mind that many employers will want to see one that is no older than say 3 months.

Not sure whether you've had a look at Unlock's information site but we do have a list of friendly employers who are more sympathetic to people with criminal records.

Hope this helps but feel free to telephone our helpline if you need any further information.

Good luck

Debs 

I can only endorse what Deb says. There are one or two other options out there, but only if you're lucky enough to have the right postcode. For example, my local Job Centre referred me to Work Routes, which is aimed at the long-term unemployed but also at ex-offenders. Of course, if they don't operate in your area, that's not much help, so I'm sorry if that's the case.