theForum

Can I date a teacher

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24833.aspx

By The bear - 12 Nov 17 7:55 PM

Hi

I was disqualified from teaching 5 years ago. Since then I have rebuilt my life after being divorced. This has included starting and building a new professional career and buying a home. I’ve started to date a girl and discovered she is a teacher. I’ve been reading about disqualification by association and I’m guessing this would apply? It seems to be under the prefix if I tell her I would if I don’t how would they find out? I was not placed on the DBS register and there have been no criminal proceedings.

Can someone advise me on this matter
By Deb S - 13 Nov 17 9:21 AM

The bear - 12 Nov 17 7:55 PM
HiI was disqualified from teaching 5 years ago. Since then I have rebuilt my life after being divorced. This has included starting and building a new professional career and buying a home. I’ve started to date a girl and discovered she is a teacher. I’ve been reading about disqualification by association and I’m guessing this would apply? It seems to be under the prefix if I tell her I would if I don’t how would they find out? I was not placed on the DBS register and there have been no criminal proceedings.Can someone advise me on this matter

Hi 

Disqualification by association only applies if you're living with your girlfriend.  

Also, it will only apply to your girlfriend if she provides childcare to children up to and including reception age both during and outside school hours or if she provides childcare outside of school hours (for example breakfast clubs) to children up to the age of 8 years. 

If there were no criminal proceedings taken against you, then it's unlikely that your girlfriend would be disqualified by association. We've got some further guidance here which may be of interest. 

This is quite a complex subject so feel free to give our helpline a call if you'd like any further information. 

Kind regards

Debs