theForum

Financial organisation

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24885.aspx

By Square - 4 Jan 18 6:44 PM

Hello,
I am applying for a job within a financial institution and I am subject to their credit & criminal record checks. Although in a financial institution, it is not a FSA approved role. I believe that this means it will be a basic criminal record check (my convictions should be spent). Can anyone tell me if this correct?
 Thanks
By Square - 3 Feb 18 10:04 PM

Jooles - 1 Feb 18 1:27 PM
AB2014 - 1 Feb 18 12:26 PM
Jooles - 1 Feb 18 10:31 AM
BenS - 1 Feb 18 8:13 AM
Jooles - 31 Jan 18 8:02 PM

Hi, 
I' hoping someone can help me. I've been offered a job to work in a bank call centre but have to do criminal record checks. Just wondering if anyone works in a bank or have any idea what level of checks they do? I have a conviction from quite a few years ago and on the application it asks for all spent and unspent convictions. I will just be answering calls in regard to customer queries but really worried my conviction will show up 

Thank you 

It seems surprising that a job in a call centre (regardless of in what sector) would require anything beyond a basic check (i.e. that would only show unspent convictions). Is your conviction spent? Hopefully someone on here can advise, it sounds like any deeper check would be disproportionate.

Thank you for replying. Yes it's spent around 12 years. I have been worried as the question asks for both spent and unspent under ROA. I'm not 100% sure they are allowed to ask that but I don' want to apply incase it is a standard check and it's not been filtered off. It was a 12 month conditional discharge 

Hi Jooles, I would expect a call centre job to be a basic check. Just because they are asking about spent and unspent convictions doesn't mean they have to be told about them - that's what the record check is for, and they only have a right to know what is shown on that check. That doesn't stop them trying it on and requesting a standard DBS check, so it's worth paying close attention to the form they get you to sign. Unlock has some information about it on their website here and here. As for your conviction, if it is eligible for filtering, that would be done after 11 years, if the offence is eligible. Again, Unlock has some information on their website here and they have more detailed information here if you need it. If it is filtered, then you'd have nothing to fear from a standard DBS check.

Thank you do much for your reply. I'm the form it says I have to have a crb check but doesn' state which one. I'm worried that they will do a standard and find out as its not something I would want to be public knowledge. I have worked for this call centre for quite a few years on a different campaign and been asked to do these checks before but it wasn't for the bank. I also think it is only one conviction i cant remember as it was that long ago and the judge was quite nice and told me Id never have to worry about it so never thought anymore of it. It' just now it' for a bank call centre I'm not sure if I'll need to be an fca approved person and if so they will do standard checks. I'e spent weeks worrying about this and have put off putting in the form as I'm terrified someone will find out but I have to go to a meetin
g about it tomorrow so just wanted some reassurance that it would only be basic. Thank you 

In terms of the check - don't worry. They will apply for the check, and prior to them receiving the certificate you will receive a copy. If you feel that there are things on the certificate that they don't need to know you can challenge it. If you are unsuccessful in challenging you can always remove your application.

I, like others, would be surprised if they wanted any more than a basic check.