theForum

Does Gibraltar count as abroad?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic24908.aspx

By BenS - 18 Jan 18 7:55 AM

If travelling to Gibraltar, directly by air from London, does this count as foreign travel for SOR purposes?

It would be a 3-day trip and I would not be entering Spain. So if it counted as within the UK, I would not normally need to notify due to it being less than a week. Though if it counts as abroad, of course I'd have no problem notifying.
By BenS - 20 Jan 18 10:53 AM

Yankee - 19 Jan 18 11:27 AM
BenS - 18 Jan 18 7:55 AM
If travelling to Gibraltar, directly by air from London, does this count as foreign travel for SOR purposes?

It would be a 3-day trip and I would not be entering Spain. So if it counted as within the UK, I would not normally need to notify due to it being less than a week. Though if it counts as abroad, of course I'd have no problem notifying.

Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory (like Bermuda, the Falklands etc.) and is not part of the UK.  You will have to notify as the Act refers to all travel outside the United Kingdom.
As an aside, legally according to the Act you would have to notify trips to the Channel Islands and the IOM (which are crown dependencies and not part of the UK) - however, flights and ferries are classed as domestic and there are no immigration controls - I don't know what the PPU do in that case, but I always work on the basis that it's better to notify even if you didn't have to than find out later on you should have and give the PPU a reason to cause trouble.

That's useful, thank you, and I agree with not giving them any reason to accuse you of being difficult and giving them a reason to refuse to get the order revoked in future.