theForum

Regular meetings with probation officer - purpose?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic25775.aspx

By Star - 7 Nov 18 1:22 PM

Hi everyone, I was sentenced in early March this year to a 12 month community order (following a guilty verdict for a breach of a restraining order) with 100 hours unpaid work to complete (finished before July) and I understand I am required to undertake monthly face to face visits with my probation officer until February 2019 at least.  It must be stressed I have no issue with this.  I guess this arrangement is to ensure I continue to toe the line and report any changes, issues, difficulties, etc.  But is there any other reason for these meetings?  Is there something I'm overlooking?  Any comments from those with more experience than me would be very welcome. 
By Star - 1 Dec 18 1:10 PM

Many thanks everyone for your replies, they are useful.  Recognising this may reflect my personal state of mind I don't find these chats particularly useful or supportive.  My officer was recently changed since I was deemed to be a low risk offender and was passed onto someone who seems to adopt a patronising attitude to my situation.  While I answer all the questions put to me she has accused me of being defensive and to be fair, perhaps that is correct.  However, I am completely terrified of saying anything since my words seem to be taken and twisted back into something far more significant.  For example - I mentioned how I was cautious about what I said to my neighbours about where I worked since someone may innocently pass this on to my immediate neighbours (we live in a semi) who have made the harassment allegations against me.  In fact the wife (apparently) stormed in my workplace when all the troubles blew up in 2013 and (metaphorically) torn the place apart when making (unfounded) complaints about me.  My Head of Department was tamping with the unreasonable attitude and the top brass had to get involved before the wife backed off.  I really can't afford a repeat episode with my current employer who have been incredibly supportive.  Hence, my efforts to limit any sensitive information.  The reply from my PO was to say what a shame I didn't think anyone was trustworthy.  Ur, not quite ...  I thought I was being discreet??  Anyway, my next visit is scheduled for Tuesday (only 2 more after that and my order terminates) and I'm simply dreading it since I feel my words will be scrutinised to the nth degree.  This feels largely like a tick box exercise.  Since I'm in part time employment, no dependency issues, no anger management issues, no debt issues. I get the feeling my PO just simply HAS to find something to focus on and use it to wear me down.  Oh well, I'll need to do some deep breathing exercises before I go in.  Thanks again.